Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

40 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Is booing just before your team kick off likely to hasten the end of taking the knee, do you think?

Yes, very much so. The TV companies and their dependent football authorities who arrange and sanction knee-taking, will drop it like a hot potato as soon as it no longer provides the sanitised virtue-signalling platform they crave.

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes, very much so. The TV companies and their dependent football authorities who arrange and sanction knee-taking, will drop it like a hot potato as soon as it no longer provides the sanitised virtue-signalling platform they crave.

Really? It seems far more likely to me that the club involved will be forced to make a red-faced apology (as Millwall were), the supporters will be villified, and the resultant message will be a declaration of how important it is not to bend to this sort of thing.

Which feeds into part two of the previous question: is booing likely to have a positive or negative influence on the match, the morale of the players, or the reputation of the club?

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

I would merely argue that it's BLM that has attached itself to the anti discrimination movement, primarily by asserting discrimination that largely does not exist in any practical sense. BLM is a political movement hiding behind the laudable notion of eliminating unnecessary discrimination. And isn't it doing well on the PR front.

Are you saying that black people do not suffer discrimination?  

15 hours ago, Bill said:

The route to a racism-free society lies in the actions of the individual. If you act like a racist, you're a racist. If you don't, you're not. What helps no one is the deliberate confusion of a self-declared Marxist political movement with a means to end racism. How many people do you think have abandoned racism because some sportsmen "take a knee" for five seconds, which I guarantee you they wouldn't be doing if it wasn't for the TV cameras? Taking a knee is purely about increasing the profile of a BLM movement that has done nothing but highlight racial difference and erode racial harmony across the western world. Coercing acceptance of BLM is not eliminating racism and the fact so many are willing to believe it only demonstrates how few people question anything or ever move beyond parroting propaganda.

When you have leaders of BLM groups openly declaring that "the white person will not be our equal, they will be our slave" and not one, not a single one, of the MSM or the celebrity hangers-on call it out as racism is when you know we are well and truly fucked.

As you say, if you act like a racist you are.  Racism isn't a one-way street - so when a black person is openly racist towards someone of another race it is.... by definition.... racist.  The fact that this isn't then highlighted for the dangerous policy that it is shows we are on a very slippery slope.

I have no time for racism.  None.  I neither act it nor am I.  My then 10 yr old son was subjected to racism and given most of his friends were black (Bermuda is a predominantly black island) he hadn't a clue as to why some kid would talk the way they did.  Thankfully his friends, all black, informed me that the other kid was a brazen liar when the kid tried to back-track out of what he said.  The other kid was also about 10 years old.... these things ae learned in the home..... 

Who wants to go to any event, sporting or cultural and watch political gesturing or be harangued by actors if the event is in a theatre?

I can’t be bothered with any pre-event activities at all and that includes minutes of silence. In football terms, just run down the tunnel and get on with it. No handshakes, no mascots no staged photographs.

1 hour ago, craig said:

When you have leaders of BLM groups openly declaring that "the white person will not be our equal, they will be our slave" and not one, not a single one, of the MSM or the celebrity hangers-on call it out as racism is when you know we are well and truly fucked.

As you say, if you act like a racist you are.  Racism isn't a one-way street - so when a black person is openly racist towards someone of another race it is.... by definition.... racist.  The fact that this isn't then highlighted for the dangerous policy that it is shows we are on a very slippery slope.

I have no time for racism.  None.  I neither act it nor am I.  My then 10 yr old son was subjected to racism and given most of his friends were black (Bermuda is a predominantly black island) he hadn't a clue as to why some kid would talk the way they did.  Thankfully his friends, all black, informed me that the other kid was a brazen liar when the kid tried to back-track out of what he said.  The other kid was also about 10 years old.... these things ae learned in the home..... 

So true.

It's interesting that QPR - and principally Les Ferdinand of the Ferdinand family - were initially viewing the gesture as pointless but have now changed their mind because Millwall, who have previous for racism, decided to boo when they played Derby. It may be a gesture but recently a senior FA figure had to resign because he made insensitive remarks so clearly not making a gesture does not get the message over. Millwall supporters are being disingenuous when they claim BLM (and this knee-bending is NOT at the behest of BLM) is what they object because it is political: BLM is not a political party and will not be fielding candidates at any election. Rather it is a disparate movement of individuals who have widely differing views and methods of campaigning. My stepson was involved for a time and had to call out on social media some racism directed v whites.

On the other hand, as one of the original Black Panthers said, you cannot have capitalism without racism. Malcolm X welcomed white activists into his movement too. 

On 19/09/2020 at 13:13, Bill said:

At last, clubs and players with the self-respect to stop grovelling to this utterly dishonest premise. When will Rangers players have the good sense to join them?

We could very nearly field an all-black team, so it will stop when those players, led by Goldson and Tav. think that it has served its purpose. Until they decide - and no one else - I will support their gesture.

5 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Exactly, the same at Colchester and West Ham. It is naive to think they were booing the players.

How else are working class people to show their dissent? If you don't want them to then don't bring this virtue signalling to football matches. Keep sport clear of religion, politics and even protest unless it's football related and about the club. 

Think the answer to that is that football players are at their place of work. If any one of us made a racist or homophobic comment at our places of work then we would likely be disciplined or at least given a dressing down. On Saturday if Michael Gardyne  had said something derogatory then our players - who are at work - have every right to object. Would be nice if we could keep politics away from sport but these are societal issues and the football arena is a workplace after all.