Stats & Analytics

15 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A dedicated stats thread is an excellent idea for the learned soccer scientists. I’m an actual-baw-in-the net stat man. It’s an age thing. I’ll look in, though, for a bit of extra bewilderment.

It is the Yankeefication of the game.

I mean, look what they did to rounders. 

38 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

A dedicated stats thread is an excellent idea for the learned soccer scientists. I’m an actual-baw-in-the net stat man. It’s an age thing. I’ll look in, though, for a bit of extra bewilderment.

Like me the only stat that counts is to finish at least one goal ahead of the opposition. 

I do like trawling through historical statistics in sport. It's always useful to gain a better understanding of how we got where we are. However, I'm far more concerned with the future than the past and unfortunately I've yet to find any statistics that tell you what's going to happen from now on.

Far too often I see people drawing conclusions from statistics and projecting them forward. If that was anything other than futile then sport wouldn't be sport.

17 minutes ago, compo said:

Yes I am all for a stats page  but you will have to explain what all these figures represent 

They are based on a popular stat called “expected goals”. In layman’s terms, it is basically a measure of the quality and quantity of chances you are creating. 

It estimates the goals you would expect to score from the shots you are taking. So if you are taking lots of shots from very good areas, your “expected goals” will be high. 

Edit: if you are scoring fewer than your expected goals, it points to poor finishing. If your expected goals itself is low, it points to a lack of creativity

Edited by DMAA

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Far too often I see people drawing conclusions from statistics and projecting them forward. If that was anything other than futile then sport wouldn't be sport.

That was certainly the case last season when there was a stark contrast in our performances before and after new year.

However, interestingly, these guys did predict Celtic to win the league in December when we were neck and neck. 

6 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That was certainly the case last season when there was a stark contrast in our performances before and after new year.

However, interestingly, these guys did predict Celtic to win the league in December when we were neck and neck. 

I wish you luck with it but I'll be very surprised if the past turns out to be any kind of guide to the future. Bookmakers and their customers are in the business of using form to credit future results. I'd just as soon leave it to them. What I would like to see is a detailed analysis at the end of the season.

23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I love stats. 

However, those table projections give me the fear. I don't like those. 

Haha. They tell me we’ve had a very good start to the season and have been more creative than our rivals so far. Doesn’t mean there are any guarantees for the future but the challenge is to maintain that level of performance. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I wish you luck with it but I'll be very surprised if the past turns out to be any kind of guide to the future. Bookmakers and their customers are in the business of using form to credit future results. I'd just as soon leave it to them. What I would like to see is a detailed analysis at the end of the season.

I don’t gamble, but bookmakers make a fortune because they are better than the vast majority of people at predicting future results based on past performance (by and large).