Jeremy Corbyn suspended by Labour Party

8 hours ago, stewarty said:

Anyone in this country is entirely free to express their view in whatever way they want, providing its done in a legal manner.

Perhaps you'd prefer to live in a totalitarian regime where free speech is not allowed?

Really, i'd look up cancel culture if i were you and also what has happened to JK Rowling as just one example for "expressing her view".

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I still think we should have a re-run of the vote to join.  Didn't the public vote to join a European trading community rather than the EU, which ended up having far more authority than originally envisaged. 

Those lying politicians duped that generation too - who'd have thunk it!?

The UK was taken into the Common Market without a vote. The vote only happened once we were in and the entire Govt of the day and Opposition used all resources available to campaign to keep us in.

It was only mavericks such as Enoch Powell and the right of the Tory party and Tony Benn (he would have been so disappointed Jeremy lol)and the Labour left who campaigned to come out. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Really, i'd look up cancel culture if i were you and also what has happened to JK Rowling as just one example for "expressing her view".

Some people don’t like the things she has to say but she can still say them, and she doesn’t seem to shy away.  I don’t know what she’s been cancelled for, but does right to free speech mean the right to expect no consequences?  

As an aside, I don’t understand the trans debate - it’s difficult and confusing, and I can usually see merit in all sides of the discussion.  

12 hours ago, stewarty said:

Anyone in this country is entirely free to express their view in whatever way they want, providing its done in a legal manner.

Perhaps you'd prefer to live in a totalitarian regime where free speech is not allowed?

To define free speech in this way is completely empty.

Very silly indeed.

13 hours ago, stewarty said:

The UK government negotiations have been shambolic, last minute and yes, as you say, doomed to failure as a result.   If we get a deal, it will be a far cry from what we were promised would be easy to achieve.

1.  I don't think that the negotiations were last minute at all - they executed Article 50 and started the process - it isnt easy to get early agreement when only one side wants to actually get a deal done.

2. I don't ever recall anyone saying it would be easy to achieve.  There were over 64,000 documents (IIRC) that needed sifted through, compiled, opined upon and re-worked in the face of a new partnership.  That was never going to be easy and I have never seen anyone say it would be and, if they did, then those believing them were foolish. 

13 hours ago, stewarty said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40667879

Liam Fox - Brexiteer and served as Secretary of State for International Trade for around 3 years.

EU trade deal should be the 'easiest in human history'.

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-easy-nigel-farage-theresa-may-david-davis-boris-johnson-8846041

Some great quotes in there that have held up well too.

I guess they hadnt considered just how malevolent the EU would be.

48 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Some people don’t like the things she has to say but she can still say them, and she doesn’t seem to shy away.  I don’t know what she’s been cancelled for, but does right to free speech mean the right to expect no consequences?  

As an aside, I don’t understand the trans debate - it’s difficult and confusing, and I can usually see merit in all sides of the discussion.  

Humza finally outs himself 👀