Black Black Black Black Black

1 hour ago, gaspard said:

Read, somewhere  sometime,  that the nearest modern group racially to the ancient Egyptians are the Coptic Christians of the modern country.

On top of that, the Pharaohs were a breed apart. Cleopatra was descended from Ptolemy, a Macedonian whom Alexander the Great installed. Don't know what the maternal line of the dynasty were like (mostly Hellenic going by wikipedia - maybe DB knows more about it), but she defintely had some European blood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemaic_Kingdom

3 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Now, actually there is some evidence that Cleo was dark, something like modern Ethiopians so different to Anne Boleyn's situation.

There isn't. Another woke myth. Actually although born in Egypt Cleopatra was of Macedonian/Greek heritage and her linage traced through the Macedonian kings who ruled both in Egypt and Greece at one time or another. 

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

If we are to follow the identity politics nonsense to its (il)logical conclusion, only an actual Egyptian Queen could play Cleopatra.

And only an actual serial killer could play Ted Bundy.  And only an actual tennis champion could play Serena Williams etc.  

Or does it all boil down to skin colour?  And isn't that a bit racist.

Well, yes actually. So-called positive discrimination can so easily turn into its opposite. It's just as much of an outrage as blacking up to play Othello.

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

There isn't. Another woke myth. Actually although born in Egypt Cleopatra was of Macedonian/Greek heritage and her linage traced through the Macedonian kings who ruled both in Egypt and Greece at one time or another. 

My wife did a degree in Egyptology and would agree but they were certainly olive-skinned. I'm not suggesting that she was akin in colour to Maya Angelou or somebody like that. Nothing to do with wokeism in this regard.

6 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

As I wrote above, while her father was of Makedonian heritage, her mother was apparently not. We do not know for certain, but it is agreed by historians that she was of Egyptian heritage and thus Cleopatra may well have been "darker" than your average Makedonian further north.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Where are all the white academics or people who have a media platform challenging this ludicrous BLM messaging

Probably scared of being hounded out of their jobs, I'd have thought.

I had a conversation with a feminist a few days ago and her usage of terms like 'toxic masculinity' and 'patriarchy' were easily dismantled, in relation to what was actually being discussed.  It's much the same with other branches of identity politics but even a level headed, rational stance will see you labelled racist/sexist etc. which is why I refrain from entering such discussions in the workplace. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Probably scared of being hounded out of their jobs, I'd have thought.

I had a conversation with a feminist a few days ago and her usage of terms like 'toxic masculinity' and 'patriarchy' were easily dismantled, in relation to what was actually being discussed.  It's much the same with other branches of identity politics but even a level headed, rational stance will see you labelled racist/sexist etc. which is why I refrain from entering such discussions in the workplace. 

I saw people running scared of this same cancel culture in Sweden five years ago. Now the terror is here and we are as fuck up as they ever werre.