[FT] Rangers 2 (Arfield 7; Roofe 69) - 2 Benfica

19 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I still can't believe that linesman didn't tell the ref to give us a penalty.  He was looking right at the obvious hand ball. 

Unbelievable and they are not sponsored by Specsavers like the Scots ones:roflmao:?

On 27/11/2020 at 16:04, craig said:

Disagree.  The only reason that bench looked weak is because of the European rules on homegrown players - that is why King, Dickson and Barjonas were on the bench.

Other than Jermaine Defoe who was missing out for that reason? Zungu, Jack and Aribo were injured, and Edmundson and Jones, even before their party weren't troubling the first team much. Look, I'm not criticising the management, just pointing out that our squad isn't as deep as some think. Even with the strongest squad in a decade we were a couple of injuries away from introducing teenagers the other night. Players pick up knocks and suspensions as the season goes, we've been fairly fortunate so far, that's all I was pointing out. 

44 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Other than Jermaine Defoe who was missing out for that reason? Zungu, Jack and Aribo were injured, and Edmundson and Jones, even before their party weren't troubling the first team much. Look, I'm not criticising the management, just pointing out that our squad isn't as deep as some think. Even with the strongest squad in a decade we were a couple of injuries away from introducing teenagers the other night. Players pick up knocks and suspensions as the season goes, we've been fairly fortunate so far, that's all I was pointing out. 

SUBS: McLaughlin, Ughelumba ( = Bassey), Helander, Hagi, Itten, Barker, Stewart, Barjonas, Dickson, King.

Remarks ....

Barjonas (21), Dickson (18) and King (16 sic!) were there because of the absence of Patterson (isolation), Jack and Aribo. Defoe's not in the EL squad, neither are Jones and Edmundson. Zungu might have been, but I would assume he's not yet that used to playing for us to throw him in straight away ... or we simply needed this home-grown quota.

Our first team squad has some 28 players, and we have cover in every department, with right-back probably being the weakest, pending on the ability someone places on Patterson and/or Balogun. Bassey has shown signs that he's a player who can cover Barisic.

As you say, we've been fortunate thus far on all negative departments, but likewise we've sure aquired enough playing staff to cover all areas for a time, unless desaster strikes. Today might have been an opportunity for Patterson, I do assume Bassey will be given a chance, as well as Itten, Hagi, Barker and even Stewart.

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

That's 5 players you have mentioned that were out for one reason or another and the "weak players" on the bench numbered 3.  That is two more missing than weak players taking their spot.  Further, we had 10 players on the bench, when normally the bench contains 7 players when not operating due to covid.

If you removed the 3 you mention our bench would have consisted of McLaughlin, Bassey, Helander, Hagi, Itten, Barker, Stewart.  Plus the starting XI makes 18.  Add in Defoe, Zungu, Jack & Aribo and you have 22 players, add in Edmundson and Jones and you have 24 - which is 2 players for every position.  And I dont think that our bench would be weak at all, whether we have 7 subs OR 10 subs.

Leon King - defender - if we had suffered an injury we had Helander and Bassey to replace a defender

Ciaran Dickson & Jamie Barjonas - midfielders - if we had suffered an injury we had Hagi, Barker, Stewart to come in and replace injuries

I don't think we were nearly as close to needing those youngsters as you think we were.  And were it not for the homegrown players rule two of them wouldnt have even made the bench as Jones & Edmundson would have been on the bench instead.

The reason all 3 of them were on the bench was because of the homegrown players rule - and we can't avoid that as we have to have 8 in the squad, or your squad size is reduced accordingly.  Edmundson and Jones aren't in the Europa league squad either.

Also, one of them, Leon King likely, would not have been in the squad had Nathan Patterson not been isolating due to close contact Re Covid.  And re the midfielders, we have senior 9 midfielders in our Europa league squad - having 3 of them out through injury is unfortunate, but we still had Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Hagi, Kent, Stewart before using the youngsters.  

Depends on what you call being fortunate - at various stages this season we have lost Aribo, Katic, Jack, Davis, Roofe to injuries.  Even the other night we were without three central midfielders - I don't think that is fortunate.