WHo was on here trying to say the mhanks were leaving us behind expanding their global brand out in the states:

From today's Express

'Celts are Fire-d'

American tour organisers have told Celtic they aren't a big enough attraction in the States.

The hoops drew 1-1 last week against Chicago Fire, but the crowd of 15,719 disappointed the hosts, especially as it was boosted only by a late rush for 4,000 tickets after it was confirmed Mexican legend Cuauthmoc Blanco would make his debut for Fire.

Chicago general manager John Guppy said; "I'm disappointed Celtic didn't have a greater draw. Forget about Blanco I really thought it would be a sold-out event even without him."

WHo was on here trying to say the mhanks were leaving us behind expanding their global brand out in the states:

Were we a bigger draw when we were over there ? NO we weren't. At least they have been making an effort to tap into the US market.

Were we a bigger draw when we were over there ? NO we weren't. At least they have been making an effort to tap into the US market.

Didn't say we were. But it's now obvious to suggest they are making any kind of inroads there is laughable.

fans were only at the Allstars game for Beckham and the Fire game for the Mexican.

From a FF poster:

We got a 15,000+ crowd in a mid-week game against Galaxy before Beckham.

And while i'm at it, isn't Chicago a town with a big Irish ex-pat contingent?

Didn't say we were. But it's now obvious to suggest they are making any kind of inroads there is laughable.

fans were only at the Allstars game for Beckham and the Fire game for the Mexican.

No it isn't laughable. Just because there weren't good crowds doesn't mean that they aren't making in roads. Example, LA Galaxy will likely see attendances of 10-20 thousand but they sold a shit load of Beckham tops - and the merchandising is where the money is made, not ticket sales. So you can't assume that crowd sizes are indicative of their reputation there.

Also, a global brand is not just USA is it ? No it isnt.

Have you looked at what the crowds were when the Tims went to the US last year ? They were pretty hefty crowds I believe, even though it was to play teams like Chelsea. Also, building a brand in a region requires more than one trip and one effort - Celtic look like making this US thing an annual trip and that will only improve their reputation there.

They are at least trying to tap into markets with huge potential - we are now only realising this, so again lag behind them.

To say that the 15,000 crowd before Beckham is one thing - but you don't think that part of the reason for the crowd was because people in LA wanted to taste "soccer" prior to Beckham coming in order to know at least a bit about it.

I think to suggest that the 15,000 crowd didn't have some of the "Beckham element" is naive.

No it isn't laughable. Just because there weren't good crowds doesn't mean that they aren't making in roads. Example, LA Galaxy will likely see attendances of 10-20 thousand but they sold a shit load of Beckham tops - and the merchandising is where the money is made, not ticket sales. So you can't assume that crowd sizes are indicative of their reputation there.

Also, a global brand is not just USA is it ? No it isnt.

Have you looked at what the crowds were when the Tims went to the US last year ? They were pretty hefty crowds I believe, even though it was to play teams like Chelsea. Also, building a brand in a region requires more than one trip and one effort - Celtic look like making this US thing an annual trip and that will only improve their reputation there.

They are at least trying to tap into markets with huge potential - we are now only realising this, so again lag behind them.

Of course the number of fans can be indicative of how popular they are there. There will be a link between the number of fans who fork out for games and for merchandise.

Another nugget from FF:

Fires game against Cracovia(yes who the hell are Cracovia) actually got a higher attendance than the game against the tims.(albeit a couple of hundred) Does that make the Polish team the biggest in the world?

You're right a global brand is worldwide, and one of the places where we are told they are doin best is the US. Well if this is one of there better areas there's no global brand is there?

Admittedly they are probably doing well in Japan, but that will end when Nakamura goes.

I don't know about previous years, but in 2004 they played Liverpool in front of 17k in a stadium that holds more than 4x that, again according to FF. If Liverpool and Celtic can't attract a proper crowd what does that tell you about the US?

Another poster says he was out there when the Mhicks were and saw more of our shirts than theirs, so what's happened now to the merchandising myth?

You say it takes more than one trip. Well they've been going since at least 04 then and getting nowhere fast.

Not suggesting we're doing any better, but we need to stop lapping up the bs our press prints.

To say that the 15,000 crowd before Beckham is one thing - but you don't think that part of the reason for the crowd was because people in LA wanted to taste "soccer" prior to Beckham coming in order to know at least a bit about it.

I think to suggest that the 15,000 crowd didn't have some of the "Beckham element" is naive.

I just quoted the whole sentence. However the real point is we got a similar crowd without prostituting ourselves to the US every year. We're not massive over there, the point is, neither therefore are they.

What Global brand do we have ?

Are we becoming Tims, bothering more about them than ourselves ?

Again, at least they are trying - it is called forward-thinking from a business sense. We aren't doing anything (or at least weren't until this summer).

The good thing is they arent stretching ahead of us.

As for your "merchandising myth" - go anywhere abroad and you are likely to see more of their tops than ours - I don't believe for a minute that someone saw more Gers tops than Tims tops - I travel to the US at least 3 times a year (for 7 years now) and I have NEVER seen more Gers tops than Tims tops - sorry, but I think whoever said that was looking for Gers tops.

I just quoted the whole sentence. However the real point is we got a similar crowd without prostituting ourselves to the US every year. We're not massive over there, the point is, neither therefore are they.

So pre-season friendlies are "prostituting" now ? I guess we pimped ourselves when we went to LA then did we ?