The Summer 2021 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

We've not spent much money on transfer fees in the summer and qualifying for the EL again will also help financially so it's not too problematic that we've not sold a key player.

Our squad is stronger than there's and whilst I'd argue we're perhaps short in one or two places, we have more than enough to win the league which is now our primary aim for this season.

There's always January if we need to buy or sell anyone and, hopefully, the market will be more attractive then too even if, historically, the winter window is seem as more risky.

It is an underwhelming window largely because the expectations were raised when Gerrard said he was really excited ahead of the transfer window and there were big things planned or something like that. 

Sakala directly replaces Itten. Sakala certainly adds pace but he will have to prove himself. 

Lundstram directly replaces Zungu. I think Zungu was better at the defensive side of the game, Lundstram is another who can maybe contribute with some goals/assists like Arfield. 

Despite that, Celtic have had a catastrophic window and you have to take our window in that context because our financial environment the same. They appear to have balanced the books by downgrading their squad. We have maintained a strong squad but almost certainly have a higher wage bill than them now, maybe even significantly higher. 

I’m confident ahead of the season and, again, the biggest risks to our season are injuries to Helander, Barisic, Jack and Roofe.

Edited by DMAA

I think the acquisition of Bacuna is an interesting one as I'm still not entirely sure where he'll play. He's also the only fee we've spent.

I'm also comfortable that Sakala and Lundstram will contribute as the season goes on.

11 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think the acquisition of Bacuna is an interesting one as I'm still not entirely sure where he'll play. He's also the only fee we've spent.

I'm also comfortable that Sakala and Lundstram will contribute as the season goes on.

Forgot about Bacuna ? I don’t understand our thinking at the moment in midfield. Gerrard had been talking about quality over quantity but again it doesn’t really look like that’s what we’ve done. We are now well over-stocked in midfield. I count 8 players to 3 positions. 

25 minutes ago, Frankie said:

We've not spent much money on transfer fees in the summer and qualifying for the EL again will also help financially so it's not too problematic that we've not sold a key player.

Our squad is stronger than there's and whilst I'd argue we're perhaps short in one or two places, we have more than enough to win the league which is now our primary aim for this season.

There's always January if we need to buy or sell anyone and, hopefully, the market will be more attractive then too even if, historically, the winter window is seem as more risky.

Good points.

I can't get past this £14M hole, though...

Also, I worry that we'll never cash in: 

'We'll just keep our key players over the summer'

'We'll just keep them in January, there's only 6 months to the next main window' 

'Maybe we should keep them again and go for the CL?'

'Ah, shit! They're now worthless!' :D

For me, we should always be going for the League and CL, but I don't think cashing in on a key player now and again should necessarily prevent that, if we're reinvesting it prudently - which we've shown we can do. 

We need to get into the habit of selling, re-investing, and developing players. 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We need to get into the habit of selling, re-investing, and developing players. 

The board stated that was the plan at the AGM.  I'm thinking we didn't really get any serious offers, hence the lack of significant departures.

34 minutes ago, Frankie said:

On the face of it, I don't agree. We'll probably make a loss in excess of £10m this season, and I'm not sure how that's to be funded. 

Perhaps the directors/shareholders will invest further cash, but the impression I had was that they are not investing more.

Perhaps there's to be a further large cash injection that we don't know about.

However it seems to me that we needed to sell at least one player for £10m+, and I'm surprised that we haven't. Perhaps there's a gamble that we'll win the league again and earn the CL cash next season, but that's a Murray approach to running the club.

I have to presume that the directors know what they're doing but we do need additional cash from somewhere.

GK: McGregor / McLaughlan / McCrorie

LB: Barisic / Bassey

CB 1: Helander / Balogun

CB 2: Goldson / Simpson

RB: Tavernier / Patterson

LCM: Kamara / Bacuna 

DM: Davis / Jack / Kelly(?)

RCM: Aribo / Lundstram / Arfield*

LAM: Sakala / Kent

RAM: Hagi / Wright

ST: Morelos / Roofe / Defoe*

* Should be phased out. 

Injured, a lot

It's not as overstocked as it appears, IMO. We need two for every position, so the only 'extras', I'd say, are Kelly and Arfield. 

It's mainly because a few players can play in a variety of positions: Roofe and Aribo in particular. 

There's 25 players named there and we also have Ofaborh, Barker and Defoe who may well play their part.

We perhaps don't have a huge amount of key player quality within that 28 man squad but we do have the bulk of the squad that won us the title and qualified from the EL supplemented by Sakala, Bacuna and Lundstram.

OK, maybe a Veerman and other striker may have our smiles wider but, generally, we're in a better position than this time last year I'd say.