The Summer 2021 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Assets touted as high value are Tavernier, Barasic, Kent and Morelos. If they had played for other clubs over the last three years, would you urge Rangers to buy any of them for £10M? At various times in their careers I might have but now? I don’t think so. (Unbeaten from now ‘til the end of the year and I’ll be changing my mind again)

Patterson and Hagi are high value but they both have potential rather than experience.

5 minutes ago, Frankie said:

There's 25 players named there and we also have Ofaborh, Barker and Defoe who may well play their part.

We perhaps don't have a huge amount of key player quality within that 28 man squad but we do have the bulk of the squad that won us the title and qualified from the EL supplemented by Sakala, Bacuna and Lundstram.

OK, maybe a Veerman and other striker may have our smiles wider but, generally, we're in a better position than this time last year I'd say.

Yes, it's definitely a bigger and stronger squad than last season.

'Kinda suggests we should have sold a key asset this summer... 

*Where's my smug b*st*ard gif...?*

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47r57tnozjpn0hmohthy

our directors have committed to covering the shortfall this financial year. They didn't seem to want to and that is fair enough but they will have to now. 

They may have to commit again for next year for sure. 

there is 5 million in ticket sales for the EL coming in this year that didn't last. ETC ETC

41 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's not as overstocked as it appears, IMO. We need two for every position, so the only 'extras', I'd say, are Kelly and Arfield. 

It’s only centre mid I feel we are. It partly because of the seniority of the players and their wages, we seem to have a concentration of wages in midfield. Across the defence we have low-wage backups. In the attack, maybe slightly less so but still reasonably low-wage backups. 

In midfield we appear to have hefty wages on our bench. Assuming we play Jack-Davis-Kamara, that would be Arfield, Lundstram, Bacuna and Aribo on the bench. It just seems such an inefficient use of wages to me. I am assuming Kamara extends and gets the hefty pay-bump he deserves. 

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

By the way it's worth noting that we've brought in the better part of £1.5-2m for Edmundson and Jones so every penny helps.

I had actually just started typing a response to myself saying we have actually done an ok job of managing the wage bill in that we brought in only 4 players but moved on 9 including loans, including decent wages in Katic, Edmundson, Stewart and Itten. You could count Murphy as Hibs presumably didn’t cover his whole wage last season. 

35 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Not sure how the £5m from the share issue will be used but that and I'd hope the Castore/other commercial deals will help ease the burden.

The £4.5m from the share issue will be used to repay Dave King's £5m + interest loan due for repayment next month.

The £10m figure I used had already factored in the commercial deals. Remember that we made a £16m loss in the 19/20 season.

31 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

our directors have committed to covering the shortfall this financial year. They didn't seem to want to and that is fair enough but they will have to now. 

They may have to commit again for next year for sure. 

there is 5 million in ticket sales for the EL coming in this year that didn't last. ETC ETC

As I said above, we made a £16m loss in 19/20  season that included qualifying from the group stages of the EL. There were some league games with no crowd but other than any refunded season ticket cash, we would have had most of the cash from them anyway.

It'll certainly be interesting to see where the finance comes from.

3 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

It'll certainly be interesting to see where the finance comes from.

It wouldn’t be a massive surprise if the main board looks a bit different a year from now, with new investments arriving as a consequence.