Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

No Rangers fan should want Gerrard to leave but neither should anyone be in doubt that our main interest is in the success of Rangers rather than the future of Steven Gerrard. I hope he stays but if he chooses to go I will immediately get behind his replacement and Steven Gerrard will slip into our long history.

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

H&H just tweeted there's been no official contact from Villa, which allows us to rubbish some of the noise.

I’m guessing, but looks to me Martinez is Villa’s first choice but he wants to continue with Belgium until  next year’s World Cup 

Whilst losing SG and his backroom staff would be a loss, I'm trusting our board have a very expensive release clause in their contracts. 

Also, I'm trusting that the board and Ross Wilson have a process in place to replace them if and / or when they leave. 

SG was a very "leftfield" appointment that was fraught with danger, but overall, it's been a success. After getting back to SPFL and chopping/changing managers we needed a period of stability followed by some success. If SG leaves (or indeed stays) we need to build on this stability and success.

People will point to SG only winning one trophy since joining Rangers but I'm sure our board would class our European runs as being a success (both financially and optically). It could be argued that this European success was more important (financially)than success in domestic cups.

There is no denying SG delivered the Holy Grail  - number 55, the title that signalled our return to the top of Scottish Football where Rangers belong. He should never be forgotten for that.

I would like to imagine SG would stay with us, but Aston Villa is a very attractive job in a very attractive league where he'll have more money to spend and probably more importantly, he'll be closer to his family.