Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

2 minutes ago, gisabeer said:

Same here.   koeman was a great player but im not impressed by his managerial record.   Are we taking a big chance on geo?  I dont think so.   As soon as i heard his name being mentioned he was my first choice.  Hes got the fans backing too, something that will make gerrard a distant memory.

Agreed - Gio seems to be a very popular choice amongst the vast majority.  Ticks many boxes for me :

• Top class player who won many things in his career, also played in a world cup final.  In actual fact, in terms of being a draw for players he should be more of a draw than Gerrard as he won more as a player than Gerrard did, 5 trophies in Scotland, won the EPL at Arsenal, won 2 La Liga's, won the CL - his reputation should attract players for sure
  • Been a manager in his own right.  Came in at Feyenoord and they were mediocre at the time.  Won the Cup in his first season and then won them the league the following year.
  • Has played at Rangers, knows the expectations, knows the standards, knows what is required
  • One of the biggest boxes he ticks for me though is that his playing philosophy is similar to Gerrard's which, lets be honest, if the players at his disposal play as we know they are capable of, will blow this league away again.

Something hasn't been clicking this season - and the question still remains as to whether it is the players or is it the management team ?  If it is the management team, then a new manager with a similar philosophy should get a significant bounce - if we get that from Gio who wouldn't need to tinker too much with the playing style, then we win the league, no doubt about it for me.  

If we bring in another manager with a different philosophy - does he have the personnel to implement that philosophy ?

21 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

That’s actually really surprising. We definitely got the best out of him at Rangers.

Injuries.  Aside from doing his ligaments with us he also played 17 games for Middlesbrough with a broken leg

4 hours ago, ascender said:

There have been murmurs Gerrard wasn't happy with the lack of fund this year, but when you look at the accounts, its pretty clear that if he'd qualified for the CL, he'd probably have been given some money.

He made public comments at the end of last season about his excitement for the board’s plans for the new season, and then made public comments implying he felt he should have had more support in the transfer window at the beginning of this season. I have little doubt the relationship had deteriorated somewhat and as soon as you have even a hint of an excuse in the back of your mind as a manager there just isn’t the same drive to fix things on the pitch. It is hard to explain the lack of improvement in our performances this season without something changing in the mindset of Gerrard and his team. 

Edited by DMAA

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

He made public comments at the end of last season about his excitement for the board’s plans for the new season, and then made public comments implying he felt he should have had more support in the transfer window at the beginning of this season. I have little doubt the relationship had deteriorated somewhat and as soon as you have even a hint of an excuse in the back of your mind as a manager there just isn’t the same drive to fix things on the pitch. It is hard to explain the lack of improvement in our performances this season without an element of off-field something changing in the mindset of Gerrard and his team. 

He and his team, management and players, should have done what was more than achievable and qualified for the CL.  Can't blame the board for not being able to back them financially when they threw away 30 million

Come @craig you can tell us now if KT is involved ?‍♂️?

? Sky Sports News confirm #GVB was on the jet and the official line is that he's here for "further talks".  Contract expected to be signed and a Club unveiling/announcememt is imminent. #RangersFansAssemble ???

Edited by CammyF