Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I always wondered what Gary McAllister's role was under Gerrard, other than filling in at pressers and the like.

I dont think he did a huge amount. He was probably just there as someone Gerrard trusted for advice, someone who he could talk to. The fact that Gerrard's taken him to Villa suggests he had his uses.

On 26/11/2021 at 10:14, Bill said:

I always wondered what Gary McAllister's role was under Gerrard, other than filling in at pressers and the like. It always looked like the main coaching and tactical support came from elsewhere. Assistant managers seem to be a bit like US vice presidents - they don't actually do anything and are sometimes chosen on the basis of not posing any threat to the incumbent, the difference being that in football the sidekick usually buggers off with the main man when he goes.

A pal to talk to and lessen the blame if things go tits up 

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I always saw McAllister as a link between the players and the manager too. 

Hell of a lot of money for a go-between and a comfort blanket. You'd think a senior position like assistant manager should have a few more objective deliverables than that.

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hell of a lot of money for a go-between and a comfort blanket. You'd think a senior position like assistant manager should have a few more objective deliverables than that.

Yes, I agree, hence the "too", adding to what has been said above. 

• 3 weeks later...