Official: Gio confirmed as Rangers manager

55 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Unless Beale was offered a managerial post in his own right....  

Would Gerrard join Villa without Beale in the middle of a season though? Surely it would be too big a gamble for him to just go and make do with who they already have, with whom he has no relationship. Implementing his style of play would be very hard without his current team. If it was the summer, he would have an opportunity to get a new team together but he doesn't seem to have that. That's my worry.

Gerrard came with his team, and will likely leave with the majority of it.   He personally doesn't need the EPL level money, but I fancy that the opportunity for him to facilitate his team getting EPL level money, and the security that might bring them, could be a big draw for Gerrard. 

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

'Dated'? You mean nowadays you just get thrown in at the deep end? Even Gerrard had an apprencticeship at Liverpool under-18s.

Exactly.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but I thought you said put Davis in charge to learn on the job, type thing? That's like a traditional 'managerial' job of the past, whereas 'managers' now are more coaches; they must develop their philosophy. 

I would want Davis to do his apprenticeship at a lower level club, to develop his coaching ideas and philosophy before he ever gets called up for us. 

Whoever is chosen as the next Rangers manager, be it now or in the future, I hope it's someone who doesn't have to learn on the job and who arrives knowing exactly how he's going to approach the task. I like Gerrard, I think he's been very good for us and I'd hate to see him go right now - but, if he does, we shouldn't chose a replacement who has to go through the same learning curve as Gerrard. We should be past that point in our recovery. 

I doubt he's available but Beale would be ideal.

Edited by Bill