Jump to content

 

 

Recommended Posts

A lot on the news the past few day's about members of parliament having a second job personally I see no reason why they cant ,there's plenty of people working two jobs in the UK if only to survive.

So a second job or not and could you survive on an MPs salary witch I think is ridiculously low .

Link to post
Share on other sites

They should all have second jobs provided that representing their constituencies come first and provided that the second jobs are real jobs. I won’t define “real job” but I know it when I see it.

 

I’d get by on a member’s salary. Remember that expenses are still lavish, probably too lavish. First class travel is ok so long as they actually work on the train but second class accommodation and subsistence should be enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not having a second job that is the issue, as such.  Its having a second job that creates a conflict of interest.

 

This one feels like it has a long way to roll yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't do an MP's job for the salary they get. Not a chance. Anyone who thinks their salary is attractive is clearly someone who couldn't command anything like it outside politics. Also, the issue of conflict of interest is mostly just weaponised bullshit, perpetrated by people who think the world should be some sanitised clean-room for the pious and pretentious, except for themselves of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, compo said:

So a second job or not and could you survive on an MPs salary

Of course.

 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Anyone who thinks their salary is attractive is clearly someone who couldn't command anything like it outside politics

Of course

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I wouldn't do an MP's job for the salary they get. Not a chance. Anyone who thinks their salary is attractive is clearly someone who couldn't command anything like it outside politics. Also, the issue of conflict of interest is mostly just weaponised bullshit, perpetrated by people who think the world should be some sanitised clean-room for the pious and pretentious, except for themselves of course

Which of course is your own brand of weaponised bullshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Scott7 said:

They should all have second jobs provided that representing their constituencies come first and provided that the second jobs are real jobs. I won’t define “real job” but I know it when I see it.

 

I’d get by on a member’s salary. Remember that expenses are still lavish, probably too lavish. First class travel is ok so long as they actually work on the train but second class accommodation and subsistence should be enough.

It's a matter for a member and the constituents.

 

It makes no sense to have a rule about it.

 

If you don't like what your M.P. is doing then vote to remove him/her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I’d get by on a member’s salary. Remember that expenses are still lavish, probably too lavish. First class travel is ok so long as they actually work on the train but second class accommodation and subsistence should be enough.

That should guarantee MP's who make the current lot look like world beaters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.