1 minute ago, Bill said:

The required surgery includes.....

A new opening partnership that can cope at test level.

There's an opening for a decent wicket keeper.

Leach simply doesn't offer a good enough spin option.

Two new pace bowlers have to be found and they can't wait until Broad and Anderson are finished.

All that and there isn't the slightest sign of succession planning.

Sounds a tad like Newcastle United new blood in all areas

46 minutes ago, Bill said:

The required surgery includes.....

A new opening partnership that can cope at test level.

There's an opening for a decent wicket keeper.

Leach simply doesn't offer a good enough spin option.

Two new pace bowlers have to be found and they can't wait until Broad and Anderson are finished.

All that and there isn't the slightest sign of succession planning.

There are players out there and i cannot see why they keep opting for Buttler in the hope he will repeat his white ball innings. Ben Foakes and young Ollie Robinson at Kent are x times better behind the stumps. 

The opening partnership is a problem after the riches before, Zak Crawley is surely a no3 or 4 and Burns, Habeeb and Sibley havent got all the shots or temprement for a 4 hour plus stay at the wicket.  Alex Lees at Durham may be worth a go. 

In the middle order, if only Malan could find some consistancy with Root and perhaps Pope and Stokes if fit. 

Wood, if fit is a 90mph bowler and would replace one of them, Archer will play when fit and Woakes is worth inclusion for his bowling and batting as does Curran. 

The problem is the young guys stepping up have played more limited overs games than county so find test cricket even more of a step. 

1 hour ago, ChelseaBoy said:

There are players out there and i cannot see why they keep opting for Buttler in the hope he will repeat his white ball innings. Ben Foakes and young Ollie Robinson at Kent are x times better behind the stumps. 

The opening partnership is a problem after the riches before, Zak Crawley is surely a no3 or 4 and Burns, Habeeb and Sibley havent got all the shots or temprement for a 4 hour plus stay at the wicket.  Alex Lees at Durham may be worth a go. 

In the middle order, if only Malan could find some consistancy with Root and perhaps Pope and Stokes if fit. 

Wood, if fit is a 90mph bowler and would replace one of them, Archer will play when fit and Woakes is worth inclusion for his bowling and batting as does Curran. 

The problem is the young guys stepping up have played more limited overs games than county so find test cricket even more of a step. 

White ball and IPL type cricket is making players sloppy ,sadly test cricket for most comes second to their bank accounts. 

22 hours ago, Bill said:

I do hope England don't big this up as some kind of achievement. That would be an enormous error. In an Ashes Series where they've been routinely humiliated, to mistake dogged resistance for genuine progress will only cement their mediocrity.

England scraped a draw, because Cummins cautiously delayed his declaration,  several overs were lost to rain, and bad light prevented the Australian quicks tearing through the tail. 

But.......

THE ASHES

The Ashes: Joe Root hails England’s restored pride as Jos Buttler is ruled out of fifth Test

updated

Elizabeth Ammon

Monday January 10 2022, 7.30am, The Times

Joe Root said that some pride had been restored in English cricket after his side clung on for a nailbiting draw in the fourth Ashes Test in Sydney.

Root hailed “an important step forward” after England, who lost the first three Tests of the five-match series, avoided a series whitewash by batting out 102 overs in their second innings. The fightback was led by a fluent 77 from Zak Crawley and a valiant 60 by Ben Stokes, who was struggling with a side injury.

“We don’t make things easy for ourselves,” Root said after a dramatic conclusion in which England were nine wickets down with 13 balls remaining after Jack Leach’s defiant rearguard action had come to an end. In the fading light and with every Australia fielder around the bat, England’s last pair of Stuart Broad and James Anderson guided England to the draw.

Jos Buttler has been ruled out of the rest of England’s tour of Australia and will fly home today after a suffering a fractured finger on the second day of the fourth Test.

Root said: “It’s quite a serious injury. For him to front up as he did from the moment he took that knock shows how much he cares and how much it means for him to play in this Test team and for England.”

It has been a difficult tour for Buttler with both bat and gloves. He has scored only 107 runs in eight innings at an average of 15.28, and behind the stumps he has been guilty of dropping some easy catches as well as taking some very difficult ones.

There is a serious doubt about Buttler’s future in the Test team and his place will be under discussion when the post-Ashes debrief process begins. Ollie Pope put in a good performance as substitute wicketkeeper in England’s second innings although Sam Billings is set to be awarded his Test debut having driven 500 miles from Brisbane to Sydney where he was taking part in the Big Bash League.

Jonny Bairstow, who is unable to keep wicket in the final Test also because of a finger injury, could regain the gloves and keep his place in the team for the tour of the Caribbean in March having scored a superb century in the first innings of this match.

Ben Stokes’s participation in the fifth Test is in doubt after the ECB confirmed he has a side strain. The all-rounder did not bowl in Australia’s second innings but helped England to salvage a draw by scoring 60 from 123 balls.

But Anderson said Stokes still hopes to play in the final Test. “He’s already saying that it feels a bit better,” Anderson said. “He’s still got his sights on playing that fifth test.”

“It shows what playing for this team means to him. Even though we’re 3-0 down. It would be very easy for him to say ‘I’ve pulled my side, I’ll go home and get it sorted’. If you’ve never pulled your side, you don’t know what pain like that is like. Every breath, you feel it. There are certain movements that are really painful.”

Root said that the spirit shown in battling out for a draw, having been 39 for four in their first innings, was “a small step forward” after what had been a “dark day for English Test cricket” when the Ashes was surrendered in weak fashion in the third Test in Melbourne.

“It would have been easy to roll over and feel sorry for ourselves,” he said. “We didn’t win and we were a long way behind the game. But to get a draw shows the character, desire and pride. It was an important step forward for this group. Pride is the overwhelming feeling.”

Anderson, who defied Smith’s leg spin in the final over, was always confident he could secure the draw. “The minute I got out there Stuart Broad was telling me what to do — ‘get a big stride in, smother the ball, don’t let the bounce beat your bat’. I was like ‘alright mate, I’ve played before, it’s fine,’ ” he said.

“Five balls from Steve Smith, he landed them really well, but the sixth, I don’t think Steve would begrudge me using the word pie. When I shook his hand I said ‘what was that?’. He said ‘the pressure got to me’. ”

Seven overs in the day were lost to rain which helped England’s cause and Pat Cummins was forced to defend delaying Australia’s declaration late on the fourth day on 265 for six with a lead of 388.

“The wicket was still not playing too many tricks and I thought if they batted really well 350 [runs] was pretty achievable out there,” Cummins said.

“I thought 110 overs was enough time [to bowl England out]. We knew in the back of our mind it may potentially be a bit of a grind out there. It’s something we can look at. From this year to last year, I think we’ve made some improvements.

“We probably stuck at our plans a little longer. It was a terrific game. We would have loved to win but there was great fight from England. It could have gone either way.”

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Anderson and Broad left out of the West Indies series!

Honestly, I think this is the right thing to do.There’s a massive rebuilding job to do and it won’t be progressed by continuing to select old timers. Tough on Anderson and Broad but right for the team.

On 08/02/2022 at 23:25, Bill said:

Honestly, I think this is the right thing to do.There’s a massive rebuilding job to do and it won’t be progressed by continuing to select old timers. Tough on Anderson and Broad but right for the team.

Not sure it is the bowling that needs the major overhaul. They hardly get a decent total theese days to defend so are under pressure from the get go. With Wood and Archer we have the pace and i would have kept one of the older players as well. Then have Woakes and Stokes when fit to add the swing. Spinner is a problem area i agree. 

3 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Not sure it is the bowling that needs the major overhaul. They hardly get a decent total theese days to defend so are under pressure from the get go. With Wood and Archer we have the pace and i would have kept one of the older players as well. Then have Woakes and Stokes when fit to add the swing. Spinner is a problem area i agree. 

When things get as bad as this you have to start building the team of the future - aiming at no less than two years from now - and you simply can't persist with current players who you know for certain won't be part of that future. Results are unimportant for the next year. Improving selection, putting different names on the team sheet and supporting them with patience and world class coaching is the name of the game now. It's no good saying the quality isn't there in the county game - talent is always there, it's inept governance and poor leadership that's led us to this low ebb, not that Englishmen are no longer able to play cricket.

It needs a revolution, a clear out. New selectors, new coaches, new captain, new players, new ambitions. Sadly none of that is likely to happen because the call of the comfort zone has long been the cancer at the heart of English cricket.