Proposals to scrap the TV licence fee are being describe as 'cultural vandalism'.

Can you guess from which end of the political spectrum these comments come from?

Watch the deliberate conflation of scrapping the licence fee with scrapping the BBC. Does this suggest there's little confidence in the ability of the BBC to operate on the same basis as every other broadcaster?

Would you miss it? Is there anything the BBC does that couldn't be done by other broadcasters?

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Proposals to scrap the TV licence fee are being describe as 'cultural vandalism'.

Can you guess from which end of the political spectrum these comments come from?

Watch the deliberate conflation of scrapping the licence fee with scrapping the BBC. Does this suggest there's little confidence in the ability of the BBC to operate on the same basis as every other broadcaster?

Would you miss it? Is there anything the BBC does that couldn't be done by other broadcasters?

I saw that as a Guardian headline and had a chuckle at the silliness.

Get them to introduce a commercial model, or become a streaming company after selling off its news business or just shut up shop. Easy. 

There are only two groups who get agitated at the thought of a BBC that has to earn its audience....

1. Those overvalued parasites who depend on the BBC to generate their bloated salaries and who would be superfluous the second the BBC Tax stopped

2. Leftists and remoaners, who are afraid what it might mean to lose their free propaganda department

The rest of us wouldn't blink.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Why do the BBC have to write "far right" every time they mention Le Pen but there's no mention of Macron's political hue?

Why wouldn't they, when so may people let them get away with it. Best way to show displeasure is to defund them. 

13 minutes ago, compo said:

Scrap the licence fee today then sell it off .

I'd scrap the licence fee in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I'd sell it all. I'd prefer to retain a "golden share" for a period of years to ensure this huge media organisation doesn't fall into the hands of unfriendly foreign ownership. I'd certainly want to ensure that the BBC brand is never again used in any future incarnation. I'd also want the current World Service to be retained by the state as a separate broadcasting organisation.

Same with C4. Traditional terrestrial TV has had its day. BBC has lost most of the major sporting events it historically had (as has most of traditional TV).

The there is the issue with the news wing and how its not really impartial when it comes to reporting. 

Its had its day. Cut the net.

On 24/04/2022 at 11:37, Gonzo79 said:

Why do the BBC have to write "far right" every time they mention Le Pen but there's no mention of Macron's political hue?

Oh no no no, you are mistaken. There's always another media agenda round the corner. This morning I've heard Le Pen widely announced as being merely "right". Whether she's happy with this shameless shift in her media attribution wasn't mentioned.