Jump to content

 

 

Available NOW on Amazon Prime: Rangers72


Recommended Posts

Much like "them" and 1967, does anyone lese feel it a little overdone? While it is the highlight of our history, must we bang on about it so often? A new film, a new range of merch, another celebration dinner. I was at the 25th anniversary dinner, the 30th, 35th, etc but at some point surely we say enough now and move on. 

 

I reckon I am very much in the minority here but I have seen and heard enough about Barcelona '72 to last a lifetime. I have just turned 51 myself so all my life I have had this retold and retold. It would have been one of the massive bonuses for me if we had managed to beat Frankfurt, that we could finally have consigned all the '72 stuff to history for good.

 

I truly believe our achievement in getting to the finals in '08 and '22 were far harder and far greater achievements than winning 5 ties against fellow cup-winners. That is of course debatable, and the ultimate aim is to win and of course we came up short on both these ocassions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Much like "them" and 1967, does anyone lese feel it a little overdone? While it is the highlight of our history, must we bang on about it so often? A new film, a new range of merch, another celebration dinner. I was at the 25th anniversary dinner, the 30th, 35th, etc but at some point surely we say enough now and move on. 

 

I reckon I am very much in the minority here but I have seen and heard enough about Barcelona '72 to last a lifetime. I have just turned 51 myself so all my life I have had this retold and retold. It would have been one of the massive bonuses for me if we had managed to beat Frankfurt, that we could finally have consigned all the '72 stuff to history for good.

 

I truly believe our achievement in getting to the finals in '08 and '22 were far harder and far greater achievements than winning 5 ties against fellow cup-winners. That is of course debatable, and the ultimate aim is to win and of course we came up short on both these ocassions.

You're not alone. It was a great achievement but it was 50 years ago ffs. It's got the 1966 feel about it for me. Every time it's brought up as our main achievement I just feel it reinforces how little Euro glory we've achieved in that broad expanse of time since Barcelona. I haven't been able to drum up the enthusiasm to watch it, which probably sums up how tired I am of endlessly repeating it every ten years of so. I'd rather have seen a compilation story of all our five finals, maybe with our unbeaten run in 1992-93 thrown in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bill said:

You're not alone. It was a great achievement but it was 50 years ago ffs. It's got the 1966 feel about it for me. Every time it's brought up as our main achievement I just feel it reinforces how little Euro glory we've achieved in that broad expanse of time since Barcelona. I haven't been able to drum up the enthusiasm to watch it, which probably sums up how tired I am of endlessly repeating it every ten years of so. I'd rather have seen a compilation story of all our five finals, maybe with our unbeaten run in 1992-93 thrown in.

great shout, id love that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Much like "them" and 1967, does anyone lese feel it a little overdone? While it is the highlight of our history, must we bang on about it so often? A new film, a new range of merch, another celebration dinner. I was at the 25th anniversary dinner, the 30th, 35th, etc but at some point surely we say enough now and move on. 

 

I reckon I am very much in the minority here but I have seen and heard enough about Barcelona '72 to last a lifetime. I have just turned 51 myself so all my life I have had this retold and retold. It would have been one of the massive bonuses for me if we had managed to beat Frankfurt, that we could finally have consigned all the '72 stuff to history for good.

 

I truly believe our achievement in getting to the finals in '08 and '22 were far harder and far greater achievements than winning 5 ties against fellow cup-winners. That is of course debatable, and the ultimate aim is to win and of course we came up short on both these ocassions.

If you don't like something don't participate,  did you buy any of the merchandise that annoys you so much? 

The team that triumphed 50 years ago have already lost players, how many will still be around for the 60th anniversary?

We should be honoured to join them and commemorate our only Euro achievement, future bears will not have that opportunity. 

Or maybe we should just celebrate games you can remember. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, gaspard said:

If you don't like something don't participate,  did you buy any of the merchandise that annoys you so much? 

The team that triumphed 50 years ago have already lost players, how many will still be around for the 60th anniversary?

We should be honoured to join them and commemorate our only Euro achievement, future bears will not have that opportunity. 

Or maybe we should just celebrate games you can remember. 

With respect, you're complaining about something that was neither said nor, I'm sure, intended. No one has disrespected those men in any way at all, or their achievements. Quite the reverse. The comment was about endlessly repeating a merchandising exercise that has already been conducted on so many previous occasions for anyone to see, when there are so many other ways to keep their memories alive. That said, I was at the game in Barcelona and you do have a point about the age and inevitable passing of these heroes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.