[FT] Rangers 1 - 2 Celtic (Ramsey 3')

56 minutes ago, ascender said:

I agree, but how many years is it now that we've been relying on Morelos and seem to have no clue what to do when he's not in the team?

In the build up to the game there was a lot of debate to how to fill the void left by Alfie being injured. 

The vast majority agreed that Roofe was the player to take his place, but a change of formation would be required to accommodate Roofe as we've seen how he struggles as a loan striker. 

What happens today? We play Roofe as an isolated striker. 

Roofe is a very good player but his strengths are not closing players down, going physically against defenders, that's what was expected of him today. 

We now have the same issue for the remainder of the season as I don't expect to see Alfie back. 

We either continue to try to fit square pegs in round holes or we alter our formation.

Not really got much to say about that.

This team tends to do one of 2 things:

1) start well, score a goal then fall asleep

2) start terribly then have to claw their way back into the game

I saw a stat yesterday on Sky that we have come from behind to win 21 games this season. That is not a good stat. The wins are good yes. But it is a huge indicator of the attitude of the squad.

34 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Not really got much to say about that.

This team tends to do one of 2 things:

1) start well, score a goal then fall asleep

2) start terribly then have to claw their way back into the game

I saw a stat yesterday on Sky that we have come from behind to win 21 games this season. That is not a good stat. The wins are good yes. But it is a huge indicator of the attitude of the squad.

21 points mate not games i think 

14 hours ago, CammyF said:

Haha - aye OK. 

Gio took over when we were top of league, we are now 6 points (plus countless goals) behind in the league. 

He looks lost, he appears clueless and we have regressed dramatically / alarmingly under his management.

I expected Gio to be an upgrade on SG, he has been anything but. 

What both SG and Gio do have in common is both weren't backed in the last two transfer windows, whilst Ange has been backed to the hilt in BOTH. 

Again, there is no suggestion whatsoever that SG would have used different players or tactics had he still been in office. He never did that before in his three seasons and the only player of  note who came in was Ramsey. He`s IMHO the instant pick for a No 10, even though I still prefer 2 wingers and two strikers. Dunno how some people look "lost" when others stand at the sidelines doing or looking exactly the same though. Maybe imagination tricks people here?

More generally ...

We have been treated to Tavernier, Kent and Morelos so long now, that we can`t see past them - and that day will eventually come anyway. One of the heritages of the SG era. We should have long gone beyond that though, not least when it became clear that the 4-2-3-1 is not suited to the Scottish game. And one that simply didn`t work if Kent or Morelos were off form or injured. And instead of seeing the obvious, "we" lay into anyone who are not "a Kent" or "a Morelos", when in fact we should have adapted the squad and system to the opposition at hand. How many laughed at Warburton`s "making Plan A better", yet ever since we tried exactly that under SG and now Gio, and de facto fell short in 4 of 5 seasons. That is some inverted learning curve. It ain`t that difficult to see that what works in Europe is not necessarily also working in Scotland - and as we see time and again, it isn`t working. People may still have fond memories of 55, yet, the reasons why we achieved that were manyfold, and 2 of the main ones were us being able to see out low-scoring games without conceeding silly/late goals (which we did the seasons before and now) as well as the Scum falling apart after the turn of the year, with TLB being made a scapegoat and we laughed heartily and his demise. 

This season, we still suffer from the same ills, the Scum have not only spent enough to see a CL return next season, but also got more than a helping hand from compliant referees (to the amount of 10 to 15 points). While McGregor alone has cost us half a dozen points this year alone.

Given how the Scum play these days and our current form, it is hard to see is clawing back 7 points (given their goal difference), and while the fat lady hasn`t sung yet, she`s already waiting behind the curtain. Maybe we can save a bit of face with a cup win or another EL scalp, but I`ll toast that when it happens.

Watching the game from my seat in the SJ rear yesterday I couldn’t help but feel I’d seen this old movie too often.

We dominate possession but create little.

The ball goes down one side then back to the middle then down the other side. And maybe same again if we don’t needlessly lose possession. And ditto.

Then the ball eventually goes into the opposition penalty box and gets cleared easily as we don’t have enough bodies in the box. And certainly not ones who will anticipate and attack the ball arriving in the box.

For me our biggest failing is we’re simply not good enough to play one up front in the SPFL against a packed defence. Whether we could go to 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 is up for debate.

And once again poor goalkeeping cost us yesterday. Why won’t the manager play Jon McLaughlin?

Edited by RANGERRAB

1 hour ago, compo said:

Simple answer this morning I would sack the Dutch dud ,he's blinking hopeless. 

Its looking that way. We have a massive summer rebuild with no money to spend. Who will take the job? You are looking at Warnock or Callum Davidson. No one of any means will take that on.

We started well, so well. High pressing was forcing misplaced passes, mistakes and, half-a-dozen professional fouls. We were rewarded with a goal.

Sellik had their first foray forward in the seventh minute, a McGregor run yielded considerable penetration, a couple of shots in two seconds saw the latter find our net.

From the eighth minute, Rangers slowly deflated.

I thought Sellik stood off us in the second period. They allowed us the ball and invited us on to them, playing for the quick counter attack. I think we created two opportunities, a Sakala shot brought a diving save from Hart and, a flashing near post attempt by Roofe.

There's the match, I don't think Sellik had to try too hard? Fcuk me, they even brought on Anthony Ralston.