Happy Birthday to her Majesty

3 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

You do know it's 2022 and not 1622? Kings and queens should be assigned to the dustbin. It's embarrassing.

I don't need any help to prove the point about tedium. Thank you very much.

24 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Don't forget that the Jacobites had considerable support from the North of England - not just a Sco-Eng thing.

I know.  And France, Ireland and probably mercenaries from elsewhere.

The point is the line that gets Scottish Nationalists so heated says rebellious Scots - not Scots.  Having said that, GSTQ is the one song I never join in at matches.  I'll reconsider that if the reigning monarch starts singing God Save Gonzo...

On 23/04/2022 at 11:30, alexscottislegend said:

Don't forget that the Jacobites had considerable support from the North of England - not just a Sco-Eng thing.

It was very small scale, as otherwise the Jacobite army would have been thousands stronger on its fools errand march to Derby. Most of South West of Scotland and the border areas supported the King. 

36 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

It was very small scale, as otherwise the Jacobite army would have been thousands stronger on its fools errand march to Derby. Most of South West of Scotland and the border areas supported the King. 

There was no "Scotland - England thing" in the sense we see it today. So much of Scottish history has been massaged and reworked to support today's nationalist craving for victimhood. Far too many Scots have sat and watched Ireland and misunderstood its destructive influence on our own country. In the process we've sunk into an appalling immaturity and naivety about our own identity and welfare. There should be no doubt about this, the resultant decay is there to see all around us 

On 23/04/2022 at 10:38, Gonzo79 said:

I always get a warm glow when I think about Culloden.

If, by chance, you seek a dessert wine, for a dinner party, or even just to swally up a close, may I suggest

71HwBVIcXcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 24/04/2022 at 14:07, Bill said:

There was no "Scotland - England thing" in the sense we see it today. So much of Scottish history has been massaged and reworked to support today's nationalist craving for victimhood. Far too many Scots have sat and watched Ireland and misunderstood its destructive influence on our own country. In the process we've sunk into an appalling immaturity and naivety about our own identity and welfare. There should be no doubt about this, the resultant decay is there to see all around us 

Maybe the ambivalence is manifested in Burns' 'Scots Wha Hae' juxtaposed with his enrolment in the Dumfries Volunteers? I agree the parallel with Ireland is a false one in that Scotland was never formally colonised though.