Jump to content

 

 

Conservative Leadership Race | Sunak or Truss will be next PM after Mordaunt eliminated


Recommended Posts

The ideal Chancellor is one that agrees with the Prime Minister. Conflict between No.10 and No.11 has hamstrung too many governments of all persuasions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

 

"Former Foreign Office minister Rory Stewart has said he has found it “painful” to watch the Conservative party “lurch to the right”, arguing that electoral reform is the only way to plug a “gaping hole in the middle of British politics”.


Speaking to an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe, Stewart said a shift away from the UK’s first-past-the-post system was needed so “new parties, new ideas, new opportunities” could break through.

He said this would be an important corrective to a “wooden, stiff and boring” Labour party and a Conservative party in “la-la-land”."

 

The bit in bold.  Wow!

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

 

"Former Foreign Office minister Rory Stewart has said he has found it “painful” to watch the Conservative party “lurch to the right”, arguing that electoral reform is the only way to plug a “gaping hole in the middle of British politics”.


Speaking to an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe, Stewart said a shift away from the UK’s first-past-the-post system was needed so “new parties, new ideas, new opportunities” could break through.

He said this would be an important corrective to a “wooden, stiff and boring” Labour party and a Conservative party in “la-la-land”."

 

The bit in bold.  Wow!

I've always thought of Rory Stewart as a loose cannon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I've always thought of Rory Stewart as a loose cannon.

He’s anything but, in my view.  And i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party, and the vacuum of nothing that Labour currently offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/06/tory-partys-lurch-to-right-painful-to-watch-says-rory-stewart

 

"Former Foreign Office minister Rory Stewart has said he has found it “painful” to watch the Conservative party “lurch to the right”, arguing that electoral reform is the only way to plug a “gaping hole in the middle of British politics”.


Speaking to an audience at the Edinburgh festival fringe, Stewart said a shift away from the UK’s first-past-the-post system was needed so “new parties, new ideas, new opportunities” could break through.

He said this would be an important corrective to a “wooden, stiff and boring” Labour party and a Conservative party in “la-la-land”."

 

The bit in bold.  Wow!

Is the Conservative party really moving to the right?

 

I've yet to see evidence of that. The article didn't explain his comment. Probably just an oversight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, stewarty said:

He’s anything but, in my view.  And i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party, and the vacuum of nothing that Labour currently offer.

Au contraire, the Conservative Party has been moving to the left for at least the last 12 years. The size of the state has grown inexorably. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some more of Rory Stewart's laser sharp analysis.

 

“There’s definitely huge space for a new party. In Scotland it should be a liberal, unionist party, in other words, a party that believes in the United Kingdom that is not a rightwing populist party. In England it should be a really strong, dynamic party of the centre,”

 

Somehow he remains unaware of the three mainstream liberal unionist parties already operating in Scotland.

 

Just imagine if our gatekeepers judged commentators on merit rather than ideology.

Edited by ranger_syntax
Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, stewarty said:

i think he makes a salient point about the lurch to the right within the Conservative party

Johnson, Truss and Sunak are definitely 'far right'...  

 

...if you're Owen Jones or a member of Antifa.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

This country is crying out for a decent lurch to the right … at least big enough to take govt as far as the centre. Maybe a bit further if possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.