Cancel Culture another one

So, the public votes in favour of Brexit and for more than 3 years we have elected politicians trying to deny that decision. Despite this, at the 2019 election the electorate returns dozens of vehement Tory remainers to parliament in the full knowledge they will certainly exploit any opportunity to reverse Brexit. Who can say democracy doesn’t work and that the public doesn’t get what they vote for.

23 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

The referendum was voted on by individuals.

Quite different from almost everything else in the country it was a decision actually taken by the people.

Compare the reaction of the politicians after the referendum to the reaction after any election. After each election we have some fussing but it dies down quickly. After the referendum we had another two elections and constant attempts to hinder, or subvert, the decision.

Have a think about it. I think that there is something about direct democracy that politicians can't tolerate.

Two idiots can outvote a genius. Decisions by people aren’t always the best. Politicians are not my favourite people for the most part but I like the general public even less.

On 10/06/2022 at 16:21, Scott7 said:

Weaken the EU? How about strengthen the UK?  

US (Obama) warned us not to leave. US (Trump) thought we weren’t doing it fast enough or effectively enough. So which US was manipulating me when I voted to get out. As for the dollar, when I was a lad, you got three to the pound, now it’s 1.2. Par or under is looming. Overall, the dollar tends to do well against all currencies.

I must say, my dear fellow, I am considerably offended by your user-name. Nobody reading a Rangers board should be confronted by the word “S . . . . n”

Don’t really see the UK in a stronger position now or even planning to be in one come the future.

People seem more concerned about gender politics than making the most of the brexit opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

People seem more concerned about gender politics than making the most of the brexit opportunity

Lunacy, isn’t it? There can’t be many of these tortured souls and there must be some accommodation made for them but no need for the rest of us to change our way of life. The fashion following bandwagon jumpers should get the derision they deserve and the professionals who egg them on should be barred from practice.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

Lunacy, isn’t it? There can’t be many of these tortured souls and there must be some accommodation made for them but no need for the rest of us to change our way of life. The fashion following bandwagon jumpers should get the derision they deserve and the professionals who egg them on should be barred from practice.

I fear the alphabet people actually feed off derision. Something more Putinesque might get their attention though.

Like many western ‘democracies’  we have an antiquated electoral system where governments can be elected with well below half of the vote but get a significantly higher percentage of elected politicians 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Like many western ‘democracies’  we have an antiquated electoral system where governments can be elected with well below half of the vote but get a significantly higher percentage of elected politicians 

Aren't you always going to get that when you have more than 2 choices?