Spike In Gas Price

42 minutes ago, compo said:

I was under the impression that the Uk gets most of their gas from the North Sea so the simple question is why has the skirmish in Ukraine sent prices rocketing .

I don't know the details but I would guess that eliminating supply from Russia means that Europeans are in a bidding war for the remaining, inadequate, supply.  Presumably North sea suppliers participate in the same market.

Very happy for some enlightened person to correct me.

13 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Oh my goodness.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Because cutting off the leading gas/oil supplier to Western Europe for 'reasons' wouldn't destabilize global markets at all. 

Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

57 minutes ago, compo said:

I was under the impression that the Uk gets most of their gas from the North Sea so the simple question is why has the skirmish in Ukraine sent prices rocketing .

It's a global market my man.

When supply is constricted at one source (Russia), yet the same number of customers remain (W. Europe).

...Supply....DEMAND

Let's give a big round of applause for all of our politicians!

:clap:

The stupidity was assuming nothing would ever disrupt global energy supply chains so we could bow to climate lunatics and deplete our domestic gas production. The uk has all the gas it needs and could largely be ignoring the international gas markets. We even have the expertise to get it out of the ground. All we lack are some pragmatic people in charge of it.