Foul, ref. Take his name.

That was the cry before yellow cards were introduced and old guys don’t rid themselves of their old ways. But I wasn’t on my feet yelling that this afternoon when the Pole, Matty Cash got booked.

Cash and a Frenchman were on converging courses after the ball when Cash made a lunge for it, possibly a fraction too soon and the players collided shoulder to shoulder both falling to the ground. No foul in my humble opinion but Cash got the card. The incident was only replayed twice before the free kick was taken and not revisited thereafter so I suppose there was no great fuss made. (I had the sound off)

In a previous match, a French defender was running back shepherding the ball towards his goalkeeper. An opposing attacker was racing up towards the ball. The defender, not in control of the ball and making no attempt to get it, watched him coming and when the attacker was about a yard off stepped out of his line into the attacker’s line of approach, dropped his shoulder and dunted the attacker out of the way. “Send him off” I shout. On reflection a hysterical over-reaction but at least an indirect free kick, surely. The commentary team, on the other hand, enthused over the Frenchman’s clever defending. 

I suppose it’s a different game nowadays. Using hands and arms against an opponent is fine but properly applied upper body strength gets you a yellow.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

On reflection a hysterical over-reaction but at least an indirect free kick, surely. The commentary team, on the other hand, enthused over the Frenchman’s clever defending.

Not if it happens with a defender blocking, but elsewhere on pitch a possible booking ,but definate free kick.Rule has to be looked at.