See this hoppitty-skippitty stuff from Lewandowski and Bruno Fernandez - leave it to the rabbits. OK, now and then the ‘Keeper is mesmerised but more often it’s the kicker himself who gets confused. Johnny Hubbard wrote the book on penalty taking. Low and hard to the corner of the net. Not all penalty takers are confident or skilful enough to do that so just blast the ball. The ‘Keeper may get lucky but not often. In penalty shootouts that’s what the lower order does and it appears to work. The frontline “craftsmen” seem more likely to miss or be saved.

No doubt some statto can tell me this is nonsense. The top order take more penalties so they are bound to miss more often and other factors. If so just shut up. This is my theory and I’m sticking to it.

NOTE: The only Croat to fail in the penalty shootout against Japan was the one who tried to be clever and demonstrated how to beat the ‘keeper but hit he post

NOTE 2: Bloody Neymar.

Edited by Scott7

Add to the penalty shimmy merchants the after goal celebrations tonight the Brazilian celebrations would have made the Ziegfeld follies proud I wonder if any Scottish team will adopt the Nancy boy dance routines 

I enjoy the whole shimmy routine, with the taker trying to outfox the keeper (as a neutral, I'd be far too nervous to watch one of ours do it!), it adds to the theatre.

And speaking of theatre, the celebrations are great too, football getting dragged into the entertainment industry, despite the alf garnetts. 

2 hours ago, Devil's advocaat said:

And speaking of theatre, the celebrations are great too, football getting dragged into the entertainment industry, despite the alf garnetts.

I might fall into the "Alf Garnett" syndrome but I am at game to watch football not dancing/gymnastics or whatever these stupid antics are.

Anyone who can't handle their goal celebrations really should think about abstaining. Once you start complaining about people expressing joy you're on a slippery slope to misery.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Anyone who can't handle their goal celebrations really should think about abstaining. Once you start complaining about people expressing joy you're on a slippery slope to misery.

Sorry if you think that but when a player scores then signals to his team mates to follow him to a corner it is not then a spontaneous celebration of the goal,and with VAR such scenes may be of no use.

I went to a "B" team game v leicester where the crowd may only have been a couple of thousand and watched the Leicester team score 6 goals and run to a corner,devoid of fans,each time---not entertaining in any way.

I go to games to see the football and if I am considered on a slope to misery it might be as a result of our play which by the way I hope is better under Beale.