[FT] Rangers 3 (Goldson 42; Nolan 58 o.g.; Arfield 88) - 0 Raith Rovers

17 minutes ago, craig said:

Do the UB's engage with other sections of the support ?  Genuine question.  

Are these banners supposed to be a representation of the support as a whole or just the UB ?  Again, genuine question.

They engage with other supporters especially in the Broomie, hence the Broomloan Collective. I am sure that there will be others fans within the stadium but number wise, I'm unsure.

Having been an active member of a previous fan group (The Blue Order) and a contributor to a fanzine, I know, understand and sympathise with the UBs as I know what they have to put up with dealing with the club, other Rangers fans and the media.

Now TBO were never as organised as the UBs and weren't an "ultras" group but had many run-ins with the club and Police. However some of the best "social nights" I have had were TBO events.

For instance Rangers security once said that TBO gave them more problems than visiting Hibs, Abderdeen and Celtic fans. Our section was once (at least) surrounded by "Riot police" and a %o our members banned due to standing (even when some of them weren't at the game in question - a midweek fixture against DUFC if I remember correctly).

Not specific to TBO but the Dublin Loyal banner was banned from Ibrox for have the legend "Behind Ememy Lines". 

The UBs are not everyone's cup of tea and I get that. But trying being a member of a fans group and see how badly you are treated by the club and fellow fans never mind the Police and the media. 

53 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

They seem to be anarchists and on their own,I often get pissed off with their monotonous self centered singing/flags while at games.

Anarchists - hahaha 

As for singing  - ibrox is a poorer place without them as Sunday showed. I was in the very back row of the BR and could hear the players shouting at each other.

If you don't like what they sing, start your own songs 

But any excuse to post the below and my favourite Blue Order 2-stick banner was their Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Blue Order 

Also remember an attempt to get a chant going to Anarchy In UK tune- first line was I am a Rangers fan (can't remember the rest).

Edited by CammyF

36 minutes ago, CammyF said:

If you don't like what they sing, start your own songs 

I get the impression the majority of people at Ibrox want to sit in silence, with an occasional moan or groan to keep them awake.  

Having said that, the monotonous chants and that God awful drum can be quite irritating.   

Ultra style activities will never catch on in a big way with the Rangers support.  

11 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I get the impression the majority of people at Ibrox want to sit in silence, with an occasional moan or groan to keep them awake.  

Having said that, the monotonous chants and that God awful drum can be quite irritating.   

Ultra style activities will never catch on in a big way with the Rangers support.  

I agree, but at least they are attempting to improve the match day experience (in their eyes anyway). I don't think any Rangers fan would decry their (and TBO before them) giant TIFO displays.

I'm sure they'd welcome new members who'll bring new ideas etc. 

As for the drum, not sure if it's an upgrade on the wee brass band that sat behind TBO - now they were irritating......

34 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I don't think any Rangers fan would decry their (and TBO before them) giant TIFO displays.

As I said TIFO's are great but other banners not eye pleasing.

Not being a favourite of what they call music on radio etc. nowadays there is little chance of accepting the "new songs/chants" at the games.

Having attended games since the 62/63 season and been through many changes in songs/chants through the years suppose the current stuff just has to be put up with,even tribal chanting.

11 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Having attended games since the 62/63 season and been through many changes in songs/chants through the years suppose the current stuff just has to be put up with,even tribal chanting.

Remember the old days when there was constant hubbub rising into wild cheers and falling into despairing groans and songs were sung instead of yapped?

I don’t hold with this Continental chanting. 

The ACAB/pig banners are fairly timid civil disobedience stuff so whilst I'm not entirely surprised by Polis Alba and the club's reaction to it, it's all a bit petty.

In terms of the specific targeting of Ross Wilson, I'm not sure of the point of that. Yes, his performance (as with many others) is certainly questionable and definitely worthy of examination and criticism where necessary but I'm personally unconvinced we're at the stage of protest banners over his position. 

Not so much that I disagree with direct messages being displayed per se just that to garner support then the message has to be qualified to make it worthwhile.  To run it alongside police complaints is rather counter productive.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

The ACAB/pig banners are fairly timid civil disobedience stuff so whilst I'm not entirely surprised by Polis Alba and the club's reaction to it, it's all a bit petty.

In terms of the specific targeting of Ross Wilson, I'm not sure of the point of that. Yes, his performance (as with many others) is certainly questionable and definitely worthy of examination and criticism where necessary but I'm personally unconvinced we're at the stage of protest banners over his position. 

Not so much that I disagree with direct messages being displayed per se just that to garner support then the message has to be qualified to make it worthwhile.  To run it alongside police complaints is rather counter productive.

Said previously that the club, the Police and other sections of the wider Rangers support don't want or like "fan groups" and experienced this as part of TBO (who were tame compared to UBs).

Also, labelling those who dare to protest (legitimate or not) timmish is very unhelpful.

Having been a member of TBO and a "protester" I probably have more empathy and support with UBs than most. 

I admit I have mixed feelings about self-styled heroes like UBs and TBO. It seems to me they get a hell of a lot of attention for such a vanishingly small number of people ... but maybe that's the point of them. Nothing they do couldn't be done equally well without creating these look-at-me brands.

On the other hand I detest unreasonable attempts to curb people's freedom of expression. Why shouldn't these fans raise a banner if they want, whatever is printed on it and whoever is criticised. Why are the board of RFC and the police being such sensitive shrinking violets?

You don't have to like these fan groups to appreciate the importance of them being able to protest if they want to.

1 hour ago, CammyF said:

Said previously that the club, the Police and other sections of the wider Rangers support don't want or like "fan groups" and experienced this as part of TBO (who were tame compared to UBs).

Also, labelling those who dare to protest (legitimate or not) timmish is very unhelpful.

Having been a member of TBO and a "protester" I probably have more empathy and support with UBs than most. 

You definitely do ;)