Rangers and SPFL heading for ‘nuclear’ SECOND sponsorship row

ROUND TWO 

Rangers and SPFL heading for ‘nuclear’ SECOND sponsorship row as Ibrox chiefs ‘call for league bosses’ heads’

• Published: 23:25, 31 Mar 2023
  • Updated: 23:28, 31 Mar 2023
  •  
  • RANGERS and the SPFL are going to be at loggerheads once again over sponsorship deals, and this time it could go 'nuclear', according to a report.

The Ibrox club and the league have been embroiled in a bitter row over the contract with car dealer cinch for much of the past year.

• The controversy kicked off last season when Gers chiefs claimed that they were unable comply with the terms of the cinch and SPFL contract because they already had an agreement with Park's Motor Group, owned by Ibrox chairman Douglas Park.

It led to the SPFL coming up with a new resolution and it excused Rangers from having to carry the company's branding within their stadium, on any advertising or on club merchandise.

The Ibrox outfit subsequently demanded an investigation and claimed they were INSULTED by the SPFL.

Then Aberdeen and Hearts also voiced separate concerns, claiming that the new agreement put the revenue structure which underpinned the top flight at risk.

• A summit at Hampden to hold crisis talks over the ongoing spat last year never came to fruition.

This latest dispute, according to the Daily Mail, has arisen now because the league's contract with the Loch Lomond Group, producers of Glen’s Vodka, is close to being renewed.

The report states that, just like they did for the cinch deal, Rangers have told other Scottish Premiership clubs that they feel 'unable to fulfil any aspect of the new agreement'.

The Ibrox club argues that the aforementioned revised resolution excuses them not only from promoting cinch, but from promoting ANY sponsorship deals agreed by the SPFL before the end of the cinch contract in 2026.

• The latest twist has the potential, according to the Mail, to have ‘nuclear’ ramifications.

It's being said that Ibrox chiefs have called for the heads of SPFL bosses including chief executive Neil Doncaster, chairman Murdoch MacLennan and legal adviser Rod McKenzie.

And Gers managing director Stewart Robertson has reportedly warned all 42 senior teams of sky-rocketing legal costs should the debate rumble on.

Should Rangers opt out of the agreement with Glen's/the Loch Lomond Group, it's likely the money put on the table by the distilling company in a new deal would be less than previously expected.

In addition to Glen's Vodk,a the Loch Lomond Group also produce Bem Lomond Scottish Gin, Glen Scotia Whisky and Loch Lomond Whisky.

Tennent Caledonian, the brewers of Scotland's biggest-selling lager Tennents, is listed as one of Rangers' commercial parnters.

• https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10452713/rangers-spfl-nuclear-second-sponsorship-row-glens-vodka/

Keeping the pressure on. Excellent.

Finally, our board seems to be digging its heels in with regards to the SFA mafia.

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Keeping the pressure on. Excellent.

Finally, our board seems to be digging its heals in with regards to the SFA mafia.

Looks like they are playing the long game but will need to win favour with some of the other clubs if we want to have an influence on these decision making votes.

3 hours ago, compo said:

Why would anyone wish a deal with Glens vodka a cheap nasty drink drunk by drunkards 

I gotta try that piss...promised myself I would when I go back next.

I think I might buy a few bottles and give them as souvenirs on return.

I did that with Bucky one year...huge hit actually.

What can I say I'm a high class kinda guy...haha!

All for rinsing the SPFL/SFA (what's the difference these days?). I still would have liked it if we'd of dragged them through the mud on the TV deal but hopefully this sponsorship agro is the thin end of a bigger wedge, so to speak.

Like Bill said, good to see the club, and board tbf, showing some fight. Probably because it's within their own individual financial interests right enough.