8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Haven’t watched a ball. I don’t even know the results of matches. I do know that England got walloped by just about everybody and that if an Afghan had held a simple catch or if an Australian hadn’t produced a Botham-Stokes class innings there would have been an astonishing outcome.

Have I missed anything?

I barely watched the group stages. 

But the Aussies fielded first and the conditions have suited them, with the pitch set to ease for batting. Looks like they will be chasing about 230. 

India froze. 

But there is an old adage:

In cricket, think carefully about betting against OZ; in rugby, think even more carefully about opposing the ABs.

It was a stunning victory, with a stunning batting performance from Travis Head. 

• 1 month later...

Watched SA absolutely smash India in their first Test this week by an innings.

Looks like they've got a really decent pace attack led by Rabada who I've rated for years.

If they had the backing and opportunities to play cricket like England do then I have no doubt they'd be no.1 or pushing it in Test cricket and ODI.

SA completely collapsed in the Second Test, I think it set a record for the shortest Test ever.

Maybe speaks to the inexperience of the side in 5 day cricket that they blew so hot and cold over this series. Still, 1-1 v India isn't terrible, although they would've wanted the win given their record away in SA.

Not sure how good a prep this will have been for the Tests against England coming up for India.

Steve Smith's taken up the Opener spot that Warner left - I wouldn't get your hopes up, he'll probably f***ing smash it.

Bit of a bampot at the crease but a geniunely phenomenal batsman, should be interesting to see how he does and if he sticks with it.

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

Steve Smith's taken up the Opener spot that Warner left - I wouldn't get your hopes up, he'll probably f***ing smash it.

Bit of a bampot at the crease but a geniunely phenomenal batsman, should be interesting to see how he does and if he sticks with it.

Smith is simply the best batsman anyone on this website has ever seen play test cricket.

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

Smith is simply the best batsman anyone on this website has ever seen play test cricket.

I take your point, he's probably the best of his generation (Smith, Kohli, Root, Williamson etc)

Ah why not, I'll rank the 4...feel free to post yours or berate my choices.

1. Smith

2. Williamson

3. Kohli

4. Root

Across all formats.

In the 3 separate formats I'd go:

Test:

1. Smith

2. Williamson

3. Root

4. Kohli

ODI

1. Kohli

2. Williamson 

3. Smith

4. Root

T20

1. Kohli

2. Root

3. Williamson

4. Smith

Notes:

Williamson is probably the one I like the most tbh, imo the best across the 3 formats on the whole but Test cricket is my preferred which is why I have Smith as no.1 Overall. Williamson is a seriously underrated batsman in these discussions - he would walk into a world XI of the 21st century for me and have a shout of captaining it.

There's the elephant in the room of Smith's wc wins vs what Williamson has and aye, you've got me. In his defence, he could play that 2019 final another 10 times and probably win 9 of them. It was just a mad game.

Limited Overs Kohli is probably the best there is and will be but isn't as dominant in the 5 day game and honestly, I've never enjoyed his batting as much as the other 3.

Root is probably the best of the 4 over the last 2/3 year cycle in fairness to him, if he keeps it up I'd seriously consider having him at 2 in my Test Rankings of the 4.

Tell me what you think, is it howling or not? It's my opinion of course and what I like in a batsman and cricketer.

Having Kohli 3 overall would get me lynched on Indian cricket twitter probably haha.

Cheers.

38 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Williamson is probably the one I like the most tbh, imo the best across the 3 formats on the whole but Test cricket is my preferred which is why I have Smith as no.1

Can’t argue furiously with that. Think about Williamson but opt for Smith.