[FT] Aris Limassol 2 - 1 Rangers (Sima 70')

12 hours ago, PoohBear said:

Also, whatever Davis has done for us in the past, he wasn't the right man to bring in even temporarily. The blame lies squarely on the board for doing this, but you can't expect someone who has been friends with these players and played through similar periods with them to be able to give the harsh words that are required.

That was also the problem with Ally.

Just now, alexscottislegend said:

That was also the problem with Ally.

Hopefully Davis doesn't get that long.

Is there a man on this Earth that can get this squad motoring?  I have my doubts.  They're like a bunch of lost wee lambs.

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Is there a man on this Earth that can get this squad motoring?  I have my doubts.  They're like a bunch of lost wee lambs.

If the answer to that is no then the solution is get someone in who can get rid of the duds and work within budget to bring in players who want to be here and can bring success.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm sure the right manager can do it.

Think of the turnaround from Pedro to Gerrard. Tav and Alfie, for example, went from the abject display in Luxembourg, to top performers in the Europa League.

It won't be easy to replicate that, but we've seen that it can be done.

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

If the answer to that is no then the solution is get someone in who can get rid of the duds and work within budget to bring in players who want to be here and can bring success.

Find an experienced manager who is a proven winner and that can work with a limited budget. I don’t envy the board’s job, but essentially that is what we require to get out of this mess. Either that or we need to get lucky again like we did with Gerrard. 

Truth be told, we have been in far deeper shyte than this.

Davis can't be envied for having to cope with this bunch of players and the injury situation (Danilo, Lawrence, Cantwell). He can't add anyone but youngsters, and it beggars belief that we let Lowry go alongside Hagi. Not least, while those we brought in needed time to adapt. I have no idea who the creative spark amongst the youngsters is.

What he can do is change the system. IMHO, the line-up last night was okay, only that the players failed to perform. The front-line lacks much cohesion, and the constant change of positions sure does not help. Wright and Sima mostly sticking to their wing slots was a start. Yet, the middle axis is still a shambles at the best of times. The DMs/CMs do not press or run into spaces (if they see opportunity to do so), the player who should distribute the ball behind the "front three" is not there. Likewise, while Borna is his usual self (either he passes back, or delivers a rasping cross in the danger zone), Tavernier can just as well be converted into a right midfielder, as his defensive work would equal that role, and his attacking display too. You do wonder what his completed cross/freekick ratio is this season, as it looks to be rather poor. You wonder what sort of player Sterling is, his bit-part appearances are sort of disappointing, yet if he doesn't get any game time, how should he sharpen his game to the Scottish demands? If supply from the wings remains as it is, we can just as well keep Tavernier out and play a winger instead (Wright "bites back" equally well).

Which brings me back to the system. St. Mirren is "flying", yet only faced the rest of the dross in the Premiership so far. They will probably be in our faces on Sunday, hence, I'd go nominally 3-4-3, with Souttar coming in. Lundstram as DM, Raskin as CM, Ridvan filling the left wingback slot, Wright right wing. Sima, Roofe, and Dessers up top. 

I feel worse today than I did last night.  Aside from Butland, Sima and Raskin the rest are losers.  I would get rid of the rest of them at the end of the season or sooner if possible.  It is definitely time to introduce some of the kids and other players who are not featuring.   Is it possible to sack football players for not performing?

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

I feel worse today than I did last night.  Aside from Butland, Sima and Raskin the rest are losers.  I would get rid of the rest of them at the end of the season or sooner if possible.  It is definitely time to introduce some of the kids and other players who are not featuring.   Is it possible to sack football players for not performing?

It's staggering to think how much money we spend during the summer on complete duds.

Beale's legacy is going to haunt us for years to come. 

Maybe just as well that Davis is clueless , if he had taken us all the way to Dublin he would walk away again at the first offer from England with his devotees telling us that he is too good to manage in Scotland.

Edited by locked ward

24 minutes ago, locked ward said:

Maybe just as well that Davis is clueless , if he had taken us all the way to Dublin he would walk away again at the first offer from England with his devotees telling us that he is too good to manage in Scotland.

The Who Bollocks GIF by AbsoluteRadio