We haven’t recovered from 2012

13 hours ago, CammyF said:

I can't remember when the alarm beting to ring for me, but think it was reading The Gubs articles in FF. I think he was the first or one of the first to predict the inevitable outcome.

Gub would complain about anyone who wasn't as staunch as him.  The main issues people had with Murray during NIAR were that he wouldn't defend the club and he wasn't in favour of the party tunes but they were minor in the overall scheme of things.

We came out of NIAR in a great position with cash in the bank. It was really under the 98/99 season that the alarm bells started ringing when we spent £38m on players, but it seemed reasonable to assume that he knew what he was doing. given he was a titan of industry. Even then he brought in £38m through a share issue the following year. It was when he carried out with the outrageous level of spending, probably towards the end of 2001, that I realised that he didn't really have a clue.

9 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Co-op bank we’re their new bankers & funders brought in by Celtic-supporting SLAB politicians who also facilitated dubious planning permission for the stadium rebuild including a 20000 seater stand fitted into a 43 yard space between the far side touchline & cemetry wall as Brian Wilson likes to boast (others more qualified might suggest otherwise)

The situation with their stadium is weird. Willie Haughey owns all the land around Celtic’s stadium, and it was sold to him for £1,000 back in 2000, with Celtic being the feuar. 

44 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

The situation with their stadium is weird. Willie Haughey owns all the land around Celtic’s stadium, and it was sold to him for £1,000 back in 2000, with Celtic being the feuar. 

I do believe that Murray also bought up some land were the commonwealth village stands land that was badly contaminated buy it cheap and sell it for a nice little earner 

49 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Not sure about celtic’s status in that, Bd. Were celtic the sellers? The low price suggests they were not. Is the land “dead land” or do celtic use it in some way?

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Doesnt he own hampden now too? Has his fingers in many pies. Suppose he is well in with the Labour mafia that ran Glasgow for years.

42 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Not sure about celtic’s status in that, Bd. Were celtic the sellers? The low price suggests they were not. Is the land “dead land” or do celtic use it in some way?

image.png.136bd2e14e6b2e33adac474687bd749f.png

He owns the land inside the red. He literally owns the land around the stadium. Don't know who he bought it from.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

image.png.136bd2e14e6b2e33adac474687bd749f.png

He owns the land inside the red. He literally owns the land around the stadium. Don't know who he bought it from.

Council owned it I would say it’s not exactly prime land for development looking at the area pretty worthless I do remember the Glasgow council giving them special permission to overhang the graveyard with their north stand and as far as I’m led to believe Janefield street which runs behind that stand is now blocked to all traffic.

There was also an issue with the electric pylon that used to be outside the front of the stadium I think Mr McCan had the power company remove it as it was on land owned by the club .

Prior to the commonwealth games plenty of folk made a killing by acquiring land in that district from the council at bottom dollar prices only to sell most of it back to the same council at a very handsome price .

59 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

The point I was making wasn’t about the land around Celtic Park. It was about the involvement of the co-op bank & GCC. I think Murray fully realised what was going on. Our support didn’t. 

I did realise that but just threw in the relatively meaningless bit of info on the land. I'm not sure that the Co-op bank was that significant as such. We got similar backing from RBS.

The GCC point though is extremely relevant. They have been fully supported by them and got the whole area refurbished whereas Murray's plans to buy the Hinshelwood Estate were blocked and they then made sure that they built housing so that we were unable to do anything in that area for another generation, including extra high housing to try and block the view of the stadium from the motorway. All clearly deliberately planned.

Where I would take issue with you was on Murray's realisation. It took him a long time to fully realise the political reality that there were many politicians actively working against us. He didn't seem to court the politicians in the way that someone of his standing should have. It was the fans who reached out to the likes of Ian Davidson at the time. He just didn't seem to get the outright hatred there was for us.

Maybe he saved up his political influence for parts of his business that made money but I was always under the impression that he never made any effort for us on that front.