Phillippe Clement RTV interview

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Absolutely. 

It almost suits 'lesser' players, so to speak, so you take the thinking out of it. 

We've just not had that type of manager, unfortunately. 

Most elite sides use automatisms now. 

Would Postecoglous work at Celtic be similar? With the constant runners and cut backs?

Or was it just a means to an end?

Edited by yuddie

12 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Would Postecoglous work at Celtic be similar? With the constant runners and cut backs?

Or was it just a means to an end?

An automatism is 'a combination, usually a passing move, which is repeatable and requires little-to-no thought to execute'.

For example, Conte's wall pass: When his teams are under pressure, the wingback will offer an easy pass, encouraging the press - because its easy to press a lone wingback - but the wingback plays a blind, round the corner pass over the top, which the forwards are attuned to, which can beat the offside trap if timed correctly. I recall Italy catching teams out with this, and that's when they had shite like Giacherrini and Pelle up front!

De Zerbi is more proactive, creating passing sequences to create faux-counter attacking situations. 

I only really know of automatisms as passing sequences or pressing triggers / traps. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

An automatism is 'a combination, usually a passing move, which is repeatable and requires little-to-no thought to execute'.

For example, Conte's wall pass: When his teams are under pressure, the wingback will offer an easy pass, encouraging the press - because its easy to press a lone wingback - but the wingback plays a blind, round the corner pass over the top, which the forwards are attuned to, which can beat the offside trap if timed correctly. I recall Italy catching teams out with this, and that's when they had shite like Giacherrini and Pelle up front!

De Zerbi is more proactive, creating passing sequences to create faux-counter attacking situations. 

I only really know of automatisms as passing sequences or pressing triggers / traps. 

Aye fair enough, I just wondered if the Postecoglou 'up, back and through' down the channel for a cutback would constitute as an automatism.

1 minute ago, yuddie said:

Aye fair enough, I just wondered if the Postecoglou 'up, back and through' down the channel for a cutback would constitute as an automatism.

It probably does, if it's repeatable. You do see that quite often - not just from Ange. 

That certainly seemed to be what Clement was hinting at in his interview. I took him to mean that our players are too thick to think for themselves so we'll work at routines until they don't have to. 

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

That certainly seemed to be what Clement was hinting at in his interview. I took him to mean that our players are too thick to think for themselves so we'll work at routines until they don't have to. 

Aye I've been saying that for awhile - the senior lads either didn't want to listen to Gio and Beale or couldn't f***ing grasp it.

2 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Aye I've been saying that for awhile - the senior lads either didn't want to listen to Gio and Beale or couldn't f***ing grasp it.

Personally, out of those two choices, I'd say they didn't want to listen because it would further expose their inadequacies.

4 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Surely automatism, if implemented properly, becomes so habitual that you don't need think, you just do, even for stupid players.

That's the thinking probably.

I read years ago that the Bayern players really struggled with Peps coaching for the first few months tbf - not making the comparison between coaches but.