Gribz,

The slingbox is easy to install.

1. Take your laptop home with you

2. Do you have family who have Sky ? If so all you need to do is have them phone Sky and get them to put an additional sky box in a different room (I would suggest you get Sky+ as it allows you to use the box as a TV recorder).

3. I made sure that the in-laws got Sky broadband too, they moved from BT (there are some minor issues I think when using the slingbox with BT, so I paid for them to switch from BT to Sky broadband, only cost an extra 15 quid or something). Sky also came in and hooked the broadband to the sky box too. Up to you though.

4. Go to http://www.dabs.com and search for "sling box" or "sling media" - or just google it.

5. Buy a sling box (roughly 130GBP)

6. When you get home simply follow the instructions that come with the slingbox. It took me less than 30 mins and I am by no means a techie !

7. The one thing I would suggest though is that once you get it working (the in-laws were watching an Arsenal game on their Sky TV and I was watching the Gers game from my laptop so I knew it worked in their house) is to have your laptop hook up to a different wireless connection to the one you have just set it up with and test it to see if it is working. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO.

Re #7 above. Basically the sling will work and you can watch Sky from your laptop when you access the internet through the same wireless network that you created the slingbox through. When you take your laptop back to Singapore you will be accessing through a different wireless network. This is where I had a problem. Because I knew it worked on the "home" connection I assumed it would work on ALL connections, but it didn't work when I went to my mother's place. If you don't test it on a network outside the "home" network then you could get back to Singapore and be screwed, hence why you connect to someone else's wi-fi. When you connect to someone else's wi-fi and it works you should be all set, if it doesn't work you can get remote help from sling support staff (who are very helpful).

If you need anything else Gribz let me know. I can't highlight the importance of step 7 - I had to travel back to Edinburgh from Ayrshire to get it fixed (as the support staff needed me to be on the "home" network so they could gain access and find the problem - though there is a workaround, but wont tell you it until and unless you need it). Ayrshire to Edinburgh was ok, but Aberdeen to Singapore........ bit of a hike just to see TV.

When viewed in 1/4 screen the quality is pretty good, when in full screen it is a bit patchy but still you can see the game - it works better for programs which are slower moving than footy.

Have to say we watch more Sky TV now than we watch regular TV.

Gribz,

The slingbox is easy to install.

1. Take your laptop home with you

2. Do you have family who have Sky ? If so all you need to do is have them phone Sky and get them to put an additional sky box in a different room (I would suggest you get Sky+ as it allows you to use the box as a TV recorder).

3. I made sure that the in-laws got Sky broadband too, they moved from BT (there are some minor issues I think when using the slingbox with BT, so I paid for them to switch from BT to Sky broadband, only cost an extra 15 quid or something). Sky also came in and hooked the broadband to the sky box too. Up to you though.

4. Go to http://www.dabs.com and search for "sling box" or "sling media" - or just google it.

5. Buy a sling box (roughly 130GBP)

6. When you get home simply follow the instructions that come with the slingbox. It took me less than 30 mins and I am by no means a techie !

7. The one thing I would suggest though is that once you get it working (the in-laws were watching an Arsenal game on their Sky TV and I was watching the Gers game from my laptop so I knew it worked in their house) is to have your laptop hook up to a different wireless connection to the one you have just set it up with and test it to see if it is working. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO.

Re #7 above. Basically the sling will work and you can watch Sky from your laptop when you access the internet through the same wireless network that you created the slingbox through. When you take your laptop back to Singapore you will be accessing through a different wireless network. This is where I had a problem. Because I knew it worked on the "home" connection I assumed it would work on ALL connections, but it didn't work when I went to my mother's place. If you don't test it on a network outside the "home" network then you could get back to Singapore and be screwed, hence why you connect to someone else's wi-fi. When you connect to someone else's wi-fi and it works you should be all set, if it doesn't work you can get remote help from sling support staff (who are very helpful).

If you need anything else Gribz let me know. I can't highlight the importance of step 7 - I had to travel back to Edinburgh from Ayrshire to get it fixed (as the support staff needed me to be on the "home" network so they could gain access and find the problem - though there is a workaround, but wont tell you it until and unless you need it). Ayrshire to Edinburgh was ok, but Aberdeen to Singapore........ bit of a hike just to see TV.

When viewed in 1/4 screen the quality is pretty good, when in full screen it is a bit patchy but still you can see the game - it works better for programs which are slower moving than footy.

Have to say we watch more Sky TV now than we watch regular TV.

We did the same with the dreambox which is a Satellite tuner that can enter the internet. With that we do card sharing. That means one person takes out a Sky or Canal plus rental. He than puts his card into a card reader connected to the computer. My dreambox works as a normal satellite tuner but enters the internet and picks up the deciphering code from the person with the rental and decodes my tuner. I now pay 5 euro's for a 40 euro rental. Unfortunately the guy who had the sky rental stopped because he was picked to go to America. Canal plus has a perfect TV picture whereas with sky you sometimes got blocks over the screen but about 98% good.

Craig, thanks mate. I'll get round to that this time.

My folks already have 2 sky boxes - would i still need to get another?

Im sorted for the Scotland game - Its on TV here, albeit at a tricky time - 1am! If im boozing at home I'll have to make sure i dont fall asleep or if i head out to the pubs i'll have to set my alarm to get to a pub thats showing it!! But now that i know its on i cant wait and will prob have a sober one until kick off then crack open a few beers around midnight.

What time is it on in your neck of the woods Craig? Must be lunch time or the likes?

Craig, thanks mate. I'll get round to that this time.

My folks already have 2 sky boxes - would i still need to get another?

Im sorted for the Scotland game - Its on TV here, albeit at a tricky time - 1am! If im boozing at home I'll have to make sure i dont fall asleep or if i head out to the pubs i'll have to set my alarm to get to a pub thats showing it!! But now that i know its on i cant wait and will prob have a sober one until kick off then crack open a few beers around midnight.

What time is it on in your neck of the woods Craig? Must be lunch time or the likes?

No worries Gribz, if you need any help give me a shout - when you go home if you have got the stuff I will give you my phone numbers in case you need to call.

You don't NEED another box but if your folks use both boxes and you hook your slingbox to one of them then you would have to watch whatever they watch - we found it easier to get an extra box so that we can control it ourselves and no-one else ever uses it at all. Your choice obviously but the Sky+ box only costs an extra 12 quid a month.

Is 9.25pm here - we are 4 hours behind the UK.

No worries Gribz, if you need any help give me a shout - when you go home if you have got the stuff I will give you my phone numbers in case you need to call.

You don't NEED another box but if your folks use both boxes and you hook your slingbox to one of them then you would have to watch whatever they watch - we found it easier to get an extra box so that we can control it ourselves and no-one else ever uses it at all. Your choice obviously but the Sky+ box only costs an extra 12 quid a month.

Is 9.25pm here - we are 4 hours behind the UK.

That would be handy mate if your on the phone if I need assistance - more than likely - plus i want to make sure i get it done right.

I was asking what time the Scotland game kicked off in your neck of the woods. :) So its 1pm - nice early start for you on saturday then - few beers at lunch time in the sun then the game!!

oops, yep the Scotland game is a 1pm for me - works well as my 3 yr old will be down for his nap, so I HAVE to stay at home to look after him.....

Mind pump him full of sleeping pills so the wee fucker doesn't wake up during the game. :thup: