[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 89' pen; Danilo 90+3') - 1 Hearts

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Not aimed at you, just picking it up here ...

I am  late to the show, but did you count out all the penalties he's scored? Had Morelos taken them, he'd be away with the European record for seasons to come.

Tav never gives up, and that's a credit to him. But how many dire game performances have been papered over - like yesterday - with one good cross and/or a penalty goal? If Clement desiced to play him as a right midfielder in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3, we might see some good years still with us. But as soon as we get a Ridvan-like successor to Tav, we should grab that chance. I have seen nothing from or in Sterling that suggests that he will be that man.

I know people will come about and say that we won't cherish enough Tav's input until he is gone, yet, Rangers always marched on without iconic people. On Thursday I was almost willing to write that we miss Kent ... for getting fouled in or outside the area and an early goal. But then I remembered Sakala and forgot all about Kent.

It remains fact that some folk won't carry us to the limits we required these days. I watched the highlights and Lammers and Dessers once more had chances and did some good work, but ultimately somehow don't seem to click. We are where we are right now and can but hope that Clement gets the best out of the current players. I am not sure that some have it in them to succeed here, or should remain ahead of others because of season's past.

It will include penalties. 

It is conceivable that Tav could become our all time European scorer by overtaking Alfie. Currently he is 2 behind Ally McCoist.

Let that sink in. 

Edited by CammyF

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It will include penalties. 

It is conceivable that Tav could become our all time European scorer by overtaking Alfie. 

Let that sink in. 

... and most other defenders, right-backs etc. in Europe too. No-one denies these feats, nor any to come. Cut the penalties out and his return would most likely be "somewhat" more moderate and normal for a right-back. He's been better this season (so far) than last, yet, like others, his standards dip considerably from game to game, and even within games. He's but one piece of the puzzle though.

12 hours ago, CammyF said:

Since we're discussing Tav....

Rangers F.C. captain James Tavernier now has scored more Scottish top flight goals than any other player currently playing in the country 

Reminder that he’s a right back 🤯 

1. Tavernier (67)
2. James Forrest (66)
3. Liam Boyce (62)
4. Stevie May (51)
5. Eamonn Brophy (46)
=6. Johnny Hayes (44)
=6. Kyogo Furuhashi (44)
=8. Callum McGregor (39)
=8. Martin Boyle (39)
10. David Turnbull (37)

The sad part is that Rangers only have ONE guy in that top ten...and it's our right back.

Pitiful.

It's not just the constant negativity, it's the force and toxicity of the negativity.

This thread and the forum in general is a perfect example, never mind the wider support.

While I agree to an extent, I don't believe this forum is anywhere as bad as twitter or some other forums for mindless abuse and where there seems to be joy in bad performances so that they can say "told you so".

The force and toxicity of the negativity do seem to be self-perpetuating, and while the team should be able to rise above it, it obviously IS having an effect on the performances.

23 hours ago, der Berliner said:

... and most other defenders, right-backs etc. in Europe too. No-one denies these feats, nor any to come. Cut the penalties out and his return would most likely be "somewhat" more moderate and normal for a right-back. He's been better this season (so far) than last, yet, like others, his standards dip considerably from game to game, and even within games. He's but one piece of the puzzle though.

I could he wrong, and happy for some one to prove me wrong, but I think Tavs number without penalties would still be on the "High end" for defenders, both domestically and in Europe (a EL level).

I could he wrong, and happy for some one to prove me wrong, but I think Tavs number without penalties would still be on the "High end" for defenders, both domestically and in Europe (a EL level).

Yes i seen this somewhere, cant find it but still an elite level output.