Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 1: Goalkeeper

4 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I can't believe I forgot my favourite moment of Rangers goalkeeping

On the same note Bobby Shearer taking over from the injured Billy Ritchie at Tynecastle after about eleven minutes, no subs of course. He conceded a goal in the second half but the Famous scored three. What a game, what a night in the days when the Hearts had taken over from the Hibs as Rangers’ main challengers

I started following the team during the Eck era so I caught the back end of Klos and the start of McGregor....

Would it be fair to say that between Goram, Klos and McGregor all three of them had an extended dip at some point before a resurgence in form? Some might have even had a second dip too.

I'll get slaughtered for this but outside of his shot stopping (a key component right enough, where he was world class) McGregor was a middling keeper at best, e.g. ball at his feet, sweeping up (non existent) and claiming crosses (non existent). Let's not pretend like he came through whilst the pass back rule was still in play either.

For me it's Goram, similar attributes to the other two but a higher peak - albeit I haven't seen him live.

I will say it and I'm sure I'll get fans shouting me down but whilst he's nowhere near contention atm, as an all round keeper - e.g. ball at his feet (both feet), sweeping, claiming crosses and shot stopping Jack Butland is probably the best talent we've had across all facets. A long way to go of course but as an overall talent we haven't had one like him imo.

This has turned out to be an interesting discussion. 

I felt Goram would be the clear winner - which is the case - but it seems to me that all our contenders are similarly skilled in one area (shot-stopping) and similarly limited in others (passing, commanding the box, etc.); they all won many titles - Goram actually won fewer than you'd expect - and they could all make a worldie. 

So what is it that makes Goram stand out? 

10 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

So what is it that makes Goram stand out? 

He was a match winner, not just any match, but the big matches.  Did Tommy Burns not say he wanted 'Andy Goram broke my heart' on his headstone.

Suprised it's close, I thought Goram would be a clear winner followed by Woods, then Klos and McGregor a long way behind that IMO

58 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Would it be fair to say that between Goram, Klos and McGregor all three of them had an extended dip at some point before a resurgence in form? Some might have even had a second dip too.

Don’t recall dips in form. McGregor went over the hill but that’s not his fault.

59 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I'll get slaughtered for this but outside of his shot stopping (a key component right enough, where he was world class) McGregor was a middling keeper at best

Goalkeeper’s Job Description: Keep the ball out of the net. 

14 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

He was a match winner, not just any match, but the big matches.  Did Tommy Burns not say he wanted 'Andy Goram broke my heart' on his headstone.

Suprised it's close, I thought Goram would be a clear winner followed by Woods, then Klos and McGregor a long way behind that IMO

Can that not be applied to McGregor, too?

it's not close, to be fair: Goram is well out in front of McGregor on this thread. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Can that not be applied to McGregor, too?

it's not close, to be fair: Goram is well out in front of McGregor on this thread. 

Possibly, maybe.

To me Goram is head and shoulders above the rest though (bar Woods), only Woods comes close IMO.  Woods was an exceptional keeper and should have had many more England caps had it not been for the blind loyalty to Shilton.