Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 3: Centre-backs

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I am too young to realistically assess Young and Woodburn but their repute is massive and we’re entitled to take that into account. The old fellows said Woodburn was the best but they never played together in central defence. Young was the Curtain’s original RB, converting to CH when Woodburn was suspended and serving club and country illustriously. 

I understand why many are choosing Butcher and Gough and I liked Amo but it’s Ronnie McKinnon and Geordie Young.

And this shows the problems that many of us have, as I've never seen Young, Woodburn or McKinnon. It's impossible for us to assess them.

I do remember Forsyth and Jackson. Jaws was a great player and definitely deserves consideration but I didn't go that many games and had to reply on Sportscene/Scotsport and even then was not always able to watch them so again it's difficult to assess against players that I saw every week like Butcher and Gough.

The merits of Corky was a fairly regular topic for heated discussion between my old man and Grandfather, neither of the two rated him the best. The former loved Ronnie MacKinnon whereas the latter could not see past the Meek(Davie Meiklejohn). I grew up believing Ronnie McKinnon was the epitome of the modern day centre back. He was fleet of foot, could hang in the air and, possessed an innate elegance. His leg break in Lisbon was heartbreaking.

A process of elimination ensued. Colin Jackson, Derek Johnstone, Dave Smith and, eventual winner, Tom Forsyth fought it out for a couple of seasons. Bomber was a male model who could head a ball as far as he could kick it. Dave Smith was a Rolls Royce of a player. Signed as a midfielder, he fitted in as Sweeper, either in front or behind. His positional sense ensured his lack of pace was never an issue and range of accurate passing was top of the range. Two of the ECWC winning goals were created by Dave Smith's vision and ability. DJ was a John Charles-esque all rounder and as such he became undervalued in all positions. He turned out as centre half, midfielder and, centre forward for both Rangers and Scotland. Tam Forsyth aka Jaws was Soldier Blue, he tackled, you stayed tackled. This belie his wonderful timing eg the Wembley tackle in '77 against Mick Channon.

We move into the late 70s and mentions must be given for Jim Steele - five appearances, five bookings and, five Player of the Season awards. Gregor Stevens was aided by the chain saw he carried on to the field of play. Sandy Jardine played sweeper in '78/'79 season. Craig Paterson dominated, John McClelland only played in the sun and, Dave McPherson endured.

Souness arrived as did Butcher, Roberts and, Richard Gough. The Scots international raised in South Africa but born in Sweden was outstanding and his central defensive partnership with John Brown was superb. We went through a dozen stoppers, notable mentions for big Amo, Craig Moore, big Marv', Alan McLaren, Bjorklund and, Petric in the next thirty years.

My pairing would be Richard Gough and Ronnie McKinnon.

2 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

The merits of Corky was a fairly regular topic for heated discussion between my old man and Grandfather, neither of the two rated him the best. The former loved Ronnie MacKinnon whereas the latter could not see past the Meek(Davie Meiklejohn). I grew up believing Ronnie McKinnon was the epitome of the modern day centre back. He was fleet of foot, could hang in the air and, possessed an innate elegance. His leg break in Lisbon was heartbreaking.

A process of elimination ensued. Colin Jackson, Derek Johnstone, Dave Smith and, eventual winner, Tom Forsyth fought it out for a couple of seasons. Bomber was a male model who could head a ball as far as he could kick it. Dave Smith was a Rolls Royce of a player. Signed as a midfielder, he fitted in as Sweeper, either in front or behind. His positional sense ensured his lack of pace was never an issue and range of accurate passing was top of the range. Two of the ECWC winning goals were created by Dave Smith's vision and ability. DJ was a John Charles-esque all rounder and as such he became undervalued in all positions. He turned out as centre half, midfielder and, centre forward for both Rangers and Scotland. Tam Forsyth aka Jaws was Soldier Blue, he tackled, you stayed tackled. This belie his wonderful timing eg the Wembley tackle in '77 against Mick Channon.

We move into the late 70s and mentions must be given for Jim Steele - five appearances, five bookings and, five Player of the Season awards. Gregor Stevens was aided by the chain saw he carried on to the field of play. Sandy Jardine played sweeper in '78/'79 season. Craig Paterson dominated, John McClelland only played in the sun and, Dave McPherson endured.

Souness arrived as did Butcher, Roberts and, Richard Gough. The Scots international raised in South Africa but born in Sweden was outstanding and his central defensive partnership with John Brown was superb. We went through a dozen stoppers, notable mentions for big Amo, Craig Moore, big Marv', Alan McLaren, Bjorklund and, Petric in the next thirty years.

My pairing would be Richard Gough and Ronnie McKinnon.

Steele was my kind of defender referees just didn't understand him 😆

Boumsong was an artist. Kept Marvin calm, quite a good pairing.

Who can forget in a celtic game the ball trickling towards the empty net and Boumsong ambling after it, waving to a distant Marvin that all was well and looking over his shoulder surveying the pitch like a chess player working on the next three moves before with, the utmost pedal dexterity, hooking the ball back off the line left footed, taking two steps and launching a right footed forty yarder along the ground to his unmarked winger.

I agree with Bill, though. Bougherra was better value on the field of play as opposed to the balance sheet. Neither makes the fairly long short leet.