Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 6: Left-wing

A determined winger prepared to stand up the full back and hit the bye-line is a fine site. Scintillating wing play is guaranteed to get supporters out of their seats. In my sixty years of watching Rangers I have witnessed several players more than capable of stimulating such excitement.

However, I will start with my Grandfather's view that Alan Lauder Morton was the greatest left winger in the land. The wee blue devil had a twenty year career, thirteen of those with Rangers and, throughout he remained part time. Morton was a qualified Mining Engineer and when Bill Struth made him him his first signing he insisted on retaining his profession. My Grandfather would eulogise the diminutive Morton's ability to take the ball and run the full back then, check inside before deciding to go again or cross. Climb the marble staircase and the life size portrait continues to gaze upon you.

My old man worshipped Jim Baxter, his vision and passing ability were unrivalled. Jim had no pace, could not tackle a fish supper and, his right foot was chocolate. Dad lamented Jim's inability to curb over confidence but, when his arrogance was on show, he intimidated his opponents absolutely. I saw him as a eight year old at Firhill on a wet and windy evening under the floodlights. Rangers won 0-6 and slim jim tormented the Thistle players by wrong footing and immediately playing perfectly weighted passes. When he returned four years later I saw a lot more of him and his lack of professionalism had caught up, he retired aged 31 years.

I loved Davie Cooper, his skill levels were latin. Again no pace but he had more time than any other player on the pitch. Every supporter agreed on Davie's skills and ability; however, he was Marmite to the support in terms of work rate and effectiveness. He had a number of spats with then gaffer, John Greig and Davie acquired the nickname, 'Moody Blue'. Anyone in any doubt, you can view his Glasgow Cup final goal against ra Sellik on YouTube.

I would like to relate a personal story from 37 years past. I experienced a bad parachute jump in borderline windy conditions and broke my leg. I was returned home from Holland to undertake ten weeks of physio'. When the stookie was removed I was told to accelerate my recovery by daily walking around Strathclyde Loch. It was summer and during the second week I met the middle distance runner, Tom McKean jogging with his two dogs. I told him of my intent to start jogging the next week and he insisted I trap at nine am on the Monday morning. I turned up with the family hound, 'Sandy' and another dog named, 'Blue' brought his owner, Davie Cooper wrapped in a black bin liner ready to start his preparation for pre-season training. Four weeks ensued, from hirple to steady running and, several lunches in the Cave Bar(because it was next door to the Bookies) in Hamilton.  Davie was a true Ranger.

Other mentions should include Davie Wilson, Bud Johnson, Albertz and, Neil McCann. I retain a soft spot for Neil, he was a superb winger and Ranger. He made truly big contributions to the team when we won the league at ra Piggery in '99, against Parma in the home leg 2-0 victory, the last day league winning victory against the Pars and, delivered the cross that won us the cup in the last minute at Hampden'02.

Conforming to the team structure means I have to vote for Jim Baxter despite my love for Davie Cooper.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

A determined winger prepared to stand up the full back and hit the bye-line is a fine site. Scintillating wing play is guaranteed to get supporters out of their seats. In my sixty years of watching Rangers I have witnessed several players more than capable of stimulating such excitement.

However, I will start with my Grandfather's view that Alan Lauder Morton was the greatest left winger in the land. The wee blue devil had a twenty year career, thirteen of those with Rangers and, throughout he remained part time. Morton was a qualified Mining Engineer and when Bill Struth made him him his first signing he insisted on retaining his profession. My Grandfather would eulogise the diminutive Morton's ability to take the ball and run the full back then, check inside before deciding to go again or cross. Climb the marble staircase and the life size portrait continues to gaze upon you.

My old man worshipped Jim Baxter, his vision and passing ability were unrivalled. Jim had no pace, could not tackle a fish supper and, his right foot was chocolate. Dad lamented Jim's inability to curb over confidence but, when his arrogance was on show, he intimidated his opponents absolutely. I saw him as a eight year old at Firhill on a wet and windy evening under the floodlights. Rangers won 0-6 and slim jim tormented the Thistle players by wrong footing and immediately playing perfectly weighted passes. When he returned four years later I saw a lot more of him and his lack of professionalism had caught up, he retired aged 31 years.

I loved Davie Cooper, his skill levels were latin. Again no pace but he had more time than any other player on the pitch. Every supporter agreed on Davie's skills and ability; however, he was Marmite to the support in terms of work rate and effectiveness. He had a number of spats with then gaffer, John Greig and Davie acquired the nickname, 'Moody Blue'. Anyone in any doubt, you can view his Glasgow Cup final goal against ra Sellik on YouTube.

I would like to relate a personal story from 37 years past. I experienced a bad parachute jump in borderline windy conditions and broke my leg. I was returned home from Holland to undertake ten weeks of physio'. When the stookie was removed I was told to accelerate my recovery by daily walking around Strathclyde Loch. It was summer and during the second week I met the middle distance runner, Tom McKean jogging with his two dogs. I told him of my intent to start jogging the next week and he insisted I trap at nine am on the Monday morning. I turned up with the family hound, 'Sandy' and another dog named, 'Blue' brought his owner, Davie Cooper wrapped in a black bin liner ready to start his preparation for pre-season training. Four weeks ensued, from hirple to steady running and, several lunches in the Cave Bar(because it was next door to the Bookies) in Hamilton.  Davie was a true Ranger.

Other mentions should include Davie Wilson, Bud Johnson, Albertz and, Neil McCann. I retain a soft spot for Neil, he was a superb winger and Ranger. He made truly big contributions to the team when we won the league at ra Piggery in '99, against Parma in the home leg 2-0 victory, the last day league winning victory against the Pars and, delivered the cross that won us the cup in the last minute at Hampden'02.

Conforming to the team structure means I have to vote for Jim Baxter despite my love for Davie Cooper.

all great players in your post but everyone says Baxter couldn't tackle but he more than made up for that because of his ability to read the game watch some clips of him and you will be amazed at how many times he intercepts a pass then sets up a counter attack  

If we are talking actual left wingers i.e touchline huggers performing as defined by @26th of foot above we are looking at Johnny Hubbard and Davy Wilson at the top then Willie Johnston and Neil McCann. No one else need apply. But they didn’t stand in the illustrated position. 

Others who operated with distinction in that area of the pitch are Sammy Cox, my choice but for Baxter, Billy Stevenson who would have been a Rangers legend but for Baxter, John Greig (where did he not play?) Dave Smith before he found his true position and the mighty Hammer.

Pitch Geography helps: the area on the left side in front of the defence and behind the attack is not the wing.