The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

17 hours ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Santa bring us a no 9 please.

I said in the match thread that we should give Sima a run as striker, apparently this is what Brighton signed him as?. Can't be any worse than what we have seen! I know he has been playing wide, however with McCausland playing RW & if Matondo stays fit???????, he would be LW. Having said that we could do with a striker who scores goals, and so could every other team!.

16 hours ago, SykseyBear said:

We had Lewis Ferguson at the club. Like we did hundreds of others who forge careers for themselves elsewhere. Our club develop so so many players who go on to do well in the game away from Rangers. Ferguson was as no brainer as no brainers go and we chose to extend Arfield and Jacks contracts, keep Davis and persist with Kamara who didn't want to be here. If ever one what if summed up our club it's Lewis bloody Ferguson. 

Firstly, there's a difference between keeping players on our books and signing a player for millions (including the Rangers tax).

Secondly, I don't recall many performances by Ferguson while at Aberdeen that suggested that he was better than anything we had already.

43 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Firstly, there's a difference between keeping players on our books and signing a player for millions (including the Rangers tax).

Secondly, I don't recall many performances by Ferguson while at Aberdeen that suggested that he was better than anything we had already.

He bullied our midfield on many occasions in my opinion.

Its mad that we still have people thinking he's not good enough for us when he is coveted by clubs who buy players more than our club is worth.

FWIW this isnt 'what could have been' greetin into a pint.

Its more of an open your eyes and look for the Andy Robertsons, Lewis Fergusons, Aaron Hickeys, Josh Doigs, John McGinns(i know that would never happen but in theory) that are here and performing instead of throwing money at guys from abroad who are not up to it and cant be registered for Europe.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

We're getting drawn into a silly argument. 

I don't think it's wrong to say Ferguson wasn't better than anything we had at the time (Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Jack, Arfield, etc.). He looks to be more than good enough for us now, but he wasn't then. 

However, what he was was a promising young player, who was performing well and was seen as one of the best midfielders in the league.

These types of players should not be sniffed at. Even if they just become decent squad players, they should be looked at. 

How was Jack received at the time?

14 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

He bullied our midfield on many occasions in my opinion.

Its mad that we still have people thinking he's not good enough for us when he is coveted by clubs who buy players more than our club is worth.

FWIW this isnt 'what could have been' greetin into a pint.

Its more of an open your eyes and look for the Andy Robertsons, Lewis Fergusons, Aaron Hickeys, Josh Doigs, John McGinns(i know that would never happen but in theory) that are here and performing instead of throwing money at guys from abroad who are not up to it and cant be registered for Europe.

I don't recall him bullying our midfield and certainly many are looking at him now with the benefit of hindsight, although I'm not suggesting that you are.

We absolutely should have tried to sign Andy Robertson when he was at QP. He was the standout player we played against on our way back up the leagues. There's also the question of whether he would have signed for us in the same way as McGinn. Hickey seemed lightweight while at Hearts and I'm not sure he would have got the chance to develop with us in the way that he has. Agree about Doig.

I'd also comment that as I didn't see the potential in Ferguson and Hickey that you can probably take my views with a pinch of salt :D