The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't recall him bullying our midfield and certainly many are looking at him now with the benefit of hindsight

I was never that impressed with him when we played Aberdeen and suspect he would've seen a lot more yellow cards in a blue jersey.  

People don't seem to factor in that clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts will bump up any transfer fee when we come calling.  

Either way, we didn't sign him and we can't afford him now.  No point crying over spilt milk and all that.

Edited by Gonzo79

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We're getting drawn into a silly argument. 

I don't think it's wrong to say Ferguson wasn't better than anything we had at the time (Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Jack, Arfield, etc.). He looks to be more than good enough for us now, but he wasn't then. 

However, what he was was a promising young player, who was performing well and was seen as one of the best midfielders in the league.

These types of players should not be sniffed at. Even if they just become decent squad players, they should be looked at. 

How was Jack received at the time?

It would have been great to have signed him as a squad player but were we in a position to spend £3-4 million on a squad player?

Jack was signed on a free contract and was looked upon as a starter when he signed back in 2017 so isn't really comparable. 

There is a current attitude amongst many that SPL players are simply not good enough for Rangers. It seems mad to me. Buying players who are proven in the SPL and then surrounding them with better team mates is a far surer way of signing a decent player than searching through Dutch league 2nd string players. 

20 hours ago, Bill said:

It's scandalous that he was there for the asking for Rangers.

Go back a few years and look at the boards, opinion polls, yada yada, what was everyone saying?

Ferguson's name would return like a rash...EVERY...TRANSFER...WINDOW. 

"No at that price!"

"Not good enough"

"He's one of our own but not Rangers level"

"He does not fit our system"

"Too slow"

Blah blah 

Do you honestly think that anyone other than Lewis, his mother, and perhaps the Italian that bought him thought he could achieve these heights? 

No.

Some cats just shine more in some leagues. 

Whodathunkit?

1 hour ago, Malangsob said:

Go back a few years and look at the boards, opinion polls, yada yada, what was everyone saying?

Ferguson's name would return like a rash...EVERY...TRANSFER...WINDOW. 

"No at that price!"

"Not good enough"

"He's one of our own but not Rangers level"

"He does not fit our system"

"Too slow"

Blah blah 

Do you honestly think that anyone other than Lewis, his mother, and perhaps the Italian that bought him thought he could achieve these heights? 

No.

Some cats just shine more in some leagues. 

Whodathunkit?

I did and I said so when he was at Aberdeen - and I certainly wasn't alone. I also remember several others recommending him as a signing when he played for Hamilton.

The criticism you quote could equally be applied to any number of missed signings. It says as much about the propensity of our supporters to parrot anything negative when it comes to a certain kind of prospect as it does about the players themselves. And in Ferguson's case so much of the negativity focussed on his relationship to previous Fergusons, to the extent you'd think we'd lost all sense of perspective. 

If I could give one piece of advice to Clement it would be to ignore the nonsense spoken by the support and follow his own path.

Edited by Bill

2 hours ago, PoohBear said:

There is a current attitude amongst many that SPL players are simply not good enough for Rangers. It seems mad to me. Buying players who are proven in the SPL and then surrounding them with better team mates is a far surer way of signing a decent player than searching through Dutch league 2nd string players. 

Nail on head. I'd go as far as to say there's a legacy attitude among Rangers supporters that we're too good for the SPFL and that anyone starring for another Scottish club would, by definition, not be good enough for Rangers.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I did and I said so when he was at Aberdeen - and I certainly wasn't alone. I also remember several others recommending him as a signing when he played for Hamilton.

The criticism you quote could equally be applied to any number of missed signings. It says as much about the propensity of our supporters to parrot anything negative when it comes to a certain kind of prospect as it does about the players themselves. And in Ferguson's case so much of the negativity focussed on his relationship to previous Fergusons, to the extent you'd think we'd lost all sense of perspective. 

Yeah but no one saw him becoming THIS. 

And him becoming what he is NOW is what chaps everyone's ass. 

Be realistic. 

Did you, or anyone, at any point say. 

"We dont get this guy he is gonna end up in a big five league playing for one of the top clubs in the world"

No...I remember the collective surprise when Bologna signed him.

"Wow they must see something"

And Bologna are not any world beaters mind you. 

Lewis Ferguson is like that chick you didn't pay any attention to.

Then you see her three years later at the grocery store...and she is bangin...5 to a 10...with a big rock on her finger.

So you go home and you sit and stew on it.

Chances missed yada yada...write me a country song. 

I got an idea Bill...let's get Larry Shankland in Jan because Danilo has just blown his knee out...Dessers is a dumpster fire...and Roofe is a slipped step away from traction.

Big Larry comes in...puts 15 past the keep this year and helps to make the season slightly more acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

If I could give one piece of advice to Clement it would be to ignore the nonsense spoken by the support and follow his own path.

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky 

21 minutes ago, SykseyBear said:

The landscape of Scottish football has completely changed these days. There are no Andy Gorams, Alan McLarens, Russell Latapys, Claudio Caniggias or Nacho Novos any more. There are no Stevie Whittakers or Stevie Naismiths, Kevin Thomsons or Kris Boyds. There just isn't. Scottish football is currently in it's weakest ever state in the Scottish games history. The level of opposition has never been worse. Look how shite Celtic are and they are still miles and miles ahead of the rest. Bar the odd 1 or 2 mentioned in this thread, there hasn't been a pick of Scottish players over the last 10 years. I'd be horrified if Callum McGregor was our main man, the captain and leader, and Greg Taylor was our number 1 left back with James Forrest still hanging about 12 years later.....they're rotten. They aren't good enough for us. All their Scottish players have been carried by big money foreign signings which they get right more than we do and it's them who make the difference when it matters. That's the difference. They can afford to carry dross, we can't. Nor would i want us to. The quality just isn't there. 

Add a Connor Barron and Lawrence Shankland to this Rangers squad and nothing changes. They drown, like Greig Docherty did. Like Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie did. Michael O'Halloran and Jamie Murphy. Scottish football is shite. We will not catch or take over Celtic by shopping here. 

Ah well with all this positivity Rangers should just shut up shop then??????