I'm pleased to see Ivory Coast win AFCON. 

What a story it is: got out of their group by a baw hair, sacked their coach, appoint a caretaker, beat Champions Senegal on penalties, beat Mali with a 120+2' minute winner, sneak past DR Congo with a weird looping half-volley from Haller and then utterly dominate a very good Nigeria side in the final. 

The atmosphere was great at the end. 

• Rousseau changed the title to AFCON 23

International football is almost always soporific and the little I saw of this tournament was well towards the comatose end of the spectrum. How it got the same promotion and coverage as the Euros or the World Cup is questionable. What I saw was rubbish, maybe I was just unlucky.

35 minutes ago, Bill said:

How it got the same promotion and coverage as the Euros or the World Cup is questionable.

Did it?  Only a handful of games were on freeview channels.  

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Did it?  Only a handful of games were on freeview channels.  

Seriously? How many people still depend on free to air TV? The fact is every AFCON game was televised live (I think).

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Seriously? How many people still depend on free to air TV? The fact is every AFCON game was televised live (I think).

The Euros and WC are both shown continuously on mainstream channels.  

I think saying it got the same 'promotion and coverage' as either of those tournaments is quite ridiculous. 

Edited by Gonzo79

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Not quite the same as the Euros or WC, which are both shown continuously on mainstream channels.  

I think saying it got the same 'promotion and coverage' as either of those tournaments is quite ridiculous. 

Isn't Sky Sports "mainstream" in your world then? Because I think it's where most people go for football coverage. 

It's mainstream for sports, I suppose. 

You're probably right, I couldn't really escape the wall to wall AFCON coverage and promotion we were subjected to, here in Scotland.  It was a veritable deluge, a tsunami, a cacophony.  

Everywhere I went, all I saw and heard were Victor Osimhen and vuvuzelas.  

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's mainstream for sports, I suppose. 

You're probably right, I couldn't really escape the wall to wall AFCON coverage and promotion we were subjected to, here in Scotland.  It was a veritable deluge, a tsunami, a cacophony.  

Everywhere I went, all I saw and heard were Victor Osimhen and vuvuzelas.  

There you are then. Told you. 😉