The crimes of the baby boom generation

Some time ago I said I would post about the most egregious crimes of a certain generation.

A lot of people like to complain about boomers.  Most of what I have noticed is derived from the higher level of wealth among boomers in comparison to recent generations.  Millennials, for example, will complain that they can't buy a home easily like the boomers could.  Boomers will retort that the millennials are too lazy and feckless to save a deposit.  Resentment between these generations builds from there.  I don't think that is the real problem.

I think that it is fair to say that the boomers have changed life in the West for the worse.  Here are a few things that I think they have changed:

• Decline of Christianity
  • Increase in divorce
  • Decrease in numbers of women staying at home to raise children
  • Increase in demands for children to be educated

You might think that these are good things and, in the past, I would have agreed with you.  Each of these things reduce the chance of the previous generation passing values down to the next.  The boomers were born into stable homes in a high trust society and undermined all that made it possible.  This is how we have reached the stage where Britain is being transformed out of all recognition.  That is to say the most recent generations really are as useless as the boomers claim.  It is just that the most recent generations could only have been made by boomers.

I don't imagine that anybody here would disagree with any of this.  The only question that remains is what should be done about the boomers now.

33 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Any discussion should be sensitive to the fact that there are boomers using this forum.  See controversial poll.

Learning at one’s own pace is beneficial for children as it leads to a more positive learning experiences, also it brings a greater sense of accomplishment, and deeper understanding of the material that they are learning . It also helps build confidence and motivation in children, which can lead to a lifelong love of learning. 

Edited by Fa1833

Would this be a fair summary: A culture (or a religion, which is often what forms a culture's backbone) is more cohesive, and more like to persist and perpetuate, if it successfully promotes a social order where many of it's members are trapped in a state of unquestioning ignorance? (i.e. a strata of proles who know their place, and obedient women in the kitchen).

4 hours ago, Thinker said:

Would this be a fair summary: A culture (or a religion, which is often what forms a culture's backbone) is more cohesive, and more like to persist and perpetuate, if it successfully promotes a social order where many of it's members are trapped in a state of unquestioning ignorance? (i.e. a strata of proles who know their place, and obedient women in the kitchen).

No, I don't think that would be a fair summary. I think that is an attempt to reframe this as a choice between the crimes above or a narrowly defined, and unrealistic, alternative. It is as if you want to explain away these mistakes by claiming that it was the 'least bad' option.

Perhaps more thought would be of benefit to you. Take your time.

24 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

No, I don't think that would be a fair summary. I think that is an attempt to reframe this as a choice between the crimes above or a narrowly defined, and unrealistic, alternative. It is as if you want to explain away these mistakes by claiming that it was the 'least bad' option.

Perhaps more thought would be of benefit to you. Take your time.

Somewhat disappointed by this low IQ response.