The crimes of the baby boom generation

On 26/01/2024 at 23:19, ranger_syntax said:

Some time ago I said I would post about the most egregious crimes of a certain generation.

A lot of people like to complain about boomers.  Most of what I have noticed is derived from the higher level of wealth among boomers in comparison to recent generations.  Millennials, for example, will complain that they can't buy a home easily like the boomers could.  Boomers will retort that the millennials are too lazy and feckless to save a deposit.  Resentment between these generations builds from there.  I don't think that is the real problem.

I think that it is fair to say that the boomers have changed life in the West for the worse.  Here are a few things that I think they have changed:

• Decline of Christianity
  • Increase in divorce
  • Decrease in numbers of women staying at home to raise children
  • Increase in demands for children to be educated

To claim that "Boomers will retort that the millennials are too lazy and feckless to save a deposit" seems too generalistic and I can't imagine anyone with much sense would claim that. There is an issue with house prices as a % of disposable income and it's not anyone's fault as such.

It probably does come from post WW2 where ownership of houses grew, which has to be a good thing, and that in turn has increased demand and increased prices. Higher disposable income and people inheriting the cash from fully paid up houses does mean the current generation will lag behind for the moment and I don't see any easy solution but it's an economic reality and the fault of any generation.

I'm not sure why an increase in the demand for children to be educated is a bad thing, and I don't believe the outdated sexism of stay-at-home mums is either.

Maybe kids aren't as driven nowadays because there are just so many distractions. Things have moved on from 3 channels on the TV, no internet and BB on a Friday night. It's more that that's got an impact than divorces and the decline of religion. the creation of the internet has a lot more to do with it.

54 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

... I'm not sure why an increase in the demand for children to be educated is a bad thing ...

See the original post.

It hinders the transfer of values from parent to child. The end result is that the child is raised by teachers and lecturers rather than parents. The child learns values from agents of the state instead of parents. This is obviously a bad thing.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

... I'm not sure why ... is a bad thing, and I don't believe the outdated sexism of stay-at-home mums is either. ...

A similar point applies to children being raised by their own mother.

Use of the term 'outdated' is very revealing. As if we are simply marching forwards in a state of relentless progress and mistakes are impossible.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Maybe kids aren't as driven nowadays because there are just so many distractions. Things have moved on from 3 channels on the TV, no internet and BB on a Friday night. It's more that that's got an impact than divorces and the decline of religion. the creation of the internet has a lot more to do with it.

Again the same point applies here. The distractions you list are things that fill the space left when parents abandon responsibilities. Access to television and the internet can, and should, be controlled by parents.

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Again the same point applies here. The distractions you list are things that fill the space left when parents abandon responsibilities. Access to television and the internet can, and should, be controlled by parents.

You don't have kids.

49 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

See the original post.

It hinders the transfer of values from parent to child. The end result is that the child is raised by teachers and lecturers rather than parents. The child learns values from agents of the state instead of parents. This is obviously a bad thing.

There's nothing to stop children having increased education and still being raised by parents. What a warped way to look at life and parenthood.