A professional soldier would find it most difficult to support conscription.

The perceived wisdom within the Parachute Regiment was a trusted trained soldier could only be achieved after at least three years of continuous training.

Two years of national service may have benefits for wider society but, not for the Army or the other services.

Of course, the Royal Marines have other interests and priorities.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

You would like to think so but it's eerily reminiscent of the attitude just prior to WW1.

The Kaiser’s ambitions were attainable. Russia’s ambition to neutralise Ukraine is also attainable but it doesn’t need a World War to achieve it . I doubt that China wants one either, not yet. Those who do want one don’t have the capability to wage it.

3 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

A professional soldier would find it most difficult to support conscription.

The perceived wisdom within the Parachute Regiment was a trusted trained soldier could only be achieved after at least three years of continuous training.

Two years of national service may have benefits for wider society but, not for the Army or the other services.

Of course, the Royal Marines have other interests and priorities.

I wouldn’t support Conscription no way my time in the Army and throughout my military career , I’ve seen those who want to go to war and those who clearly don’t want to come back to a war zone be it Iraq - Afghanistan after they go on there  2 weeks leave from a 6 months tour. So the idea of conscription to someone who went on operational tours will tell you that those who are forced to go to war rather than those who choose is a different mindset , so if it’s someone who wants to be there be it Buffalo bill who has Anger issues and always up for it then that’s the best kind  you will find for the job at hand , also someone who doesn’t give a shit and slacks off and doesn’t want to look after there left and right has no place and is best holding the line at the rear. 

Parachute Regiment still do the milling test , I’ve got a m8 who did the P coy course as an instructor with the Paras a CSM, in which it is full on face punches until your told to stop, controlled aggression and it’s also to see who is willing to put there head above the para pit when under enemy fire. 

Edited by Fa1833

10 minutes ago, Fa1833 said:

I wouldn’t support Conscription no way my time in the Army and throughout my military career , I’ve seen those who want to go to war and those who clearly don’t want to come back to a war zone be it Iraq - Afghanistan after they go on there  2 weeks leave from a 6 months tour. So the idea of conscription to someone who went on operational tours will tell you that those who are forced to go to war rather than those who choose is a different mindset , so if it’s someone who wants to be there be it Buffalo bill who has Anger issues and always up for it then that’s the best kind  you will find for the job at hand , also someone who doesn’t give a shit and slacks off and doesn’t want to look after there left and right has no place and is best holding the line at the rear. 

Parachute Regiment still do the milling test , I’ve got a m8 who did the P coy course as an instructor with the Parras CSM  in which it is full on face punches until your told to stop, controlled aggression and it’s also to see who is willing to put there head above the para pit when under enemy fire. 

I endured P Company in 1978.

It was a repetitive test in several disciplines; circuit training in the gym, the assault course, daily runs culminating in a weekly stretcher race, the trainasium and daily milling(windmilling). The point was to ascertain both confidence and aggression. 

Milling is/was not boxing, no points for self defence. You had to endure five one minute bouts daily, keep going forward with your arms milling strikes on your opponent. Support arms sent personnel to participate in Airborne exercises/operations, I always hoped I would be paired with some RACC or RAMC wallahs, never happened, always some Sapper Corporal punching lumps out of me.

6 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

From what, one may ask?

Mass immigration, a stagnant economy and the ongoing decline of public services.

Probably loads more too.

Should probably fight back against it by spamming this thread with those three topics. We'd probably all end up swimming in jingo tears.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

I endured P Company in 1978.

It was a repetitive test in several disciplines; circuit training in the gym, the assault course, daily runs culminating in a weekly stretcher race, the trainasium and daily milling(windmilling). The point was to ascertain both confidence and aggression. 

Milling is/was not boxing, no points for self defence. You had to endure five one minute bouts daily, keep going forward with your arms milling strikes on your opponent. Support arms sent personnel to participate in Airborne exercises/operations, I always hoped I would be paired with some RACC or RAMC wallahs, never happened, always some Sapper Corporal punching lumps out of me.

It’s definitely an acquired taste indeed 🤣 I served along side 2 & 3 para as part of 16 AA Brigade top top blokes or mega as they say 🤜🏼♥️

Since I started this topic, I find the responses from those were professional soldiers interesting - and reassuring. 

21 hours ago, Malangsob said:

My sister talked about conscription for her son. I told her like this.

These are the same people who have classified flag waving as radical and far right. Now they expect you to defend it. The same people who have opened the borders up to endless waves of third world, unvetted migrants and mountains of drugs. The same people who have waged endless wars for the past 20 years. The same people who have destroyed the currency and economy. The same people who locked you down, muzzled you and injected you with experimental shit.

I served 25 years but I wouldn't serve 20 minutes for these snakes today. 
These are not leaders they are corporate globalist usurpers. They are traitors and we all know what traitors receive in time of war. 
It is time when it is far more honorable to fight government than defend it.

Interesting comments.