22 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

I remember newsreel footage of the FA Cup semi at Hillsborough. Len Shackleton for Sunderland wrecked the Blues’ outfield defence but Merrick kept them out. Unfortunately for Brum he couldn’t do the same to Bobby Johnstone in the Final.

Aye he was a really good keeper.

A hero for Blues with a Rangers connection would be Roger Hynd. Great defender down here.

Also Barry will always be my hero, obvously for what he did for the teds but for me he was the best passing midfielder in the premier league when he was at the Blues - he played and won the league cup with a broken rib too.

They've never replaced him - sadly neither have Rangers.

23 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

We’ve already had Fred Trueman but here he is at work.

Was that Brian Close putting his arms around Fred

43 minutes ago, compo said:

Was that Brian Close putting his arms around Fred

Boycott. Close didn’t play in that match.

Trueman’s action is superb. Only Lillee matches it. My action (slow left arm) was near perfect. The trouble started when I released the ball. The little red beggar went everywhere, mostly the boundary.

Truman uproots the batsman’s off stump, first ball and turns away. The batsman walks off. The fielders stroll about looking pleased. No cocoa school histrionics. Even the 300th wicket provokes only mild celebrations. First to shake Trueman’s hand is the batsman, Neil Hawke. Those were the days.

18 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Jings. No bonnet, no armguards. Not even a sweater.

....and facing Whispering Death, himself.

Beyond folly, i m h o. 

20 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Jings. No bonnet, no armguards. Not even a sweater.

I think i know what the batsman at the other ends thinking something   like thank fuck he didn't take the quick single 

16 minutes ago, compo said:

I think i know what the batsman at the other ends thinking something   like thank fuck he didn't take the quick single 

He couldn't get his bat on the fucking ball!