In the days before TV, listening to radio commentary by Raymond Glendenning with inter-round summaries by J Barrington-Dalby, fighters always seemed to come from Poplar, or Stepney, Glasgow, Liverpool, or Tiger Bay in Cardiff. I used to think you had to be a docker before starting boxing.

Here’s another fighter. One of the best. Sammy Cox the Darvel Marvel.

IMG_1674.jpeg

Edited by Scott7

Two in one go. A better picture of Willie Rae as he makes sure Alfie Conn of the Hearts doesn’t get near George Niven. (That Alfie is of course oor Alfie’s dad)

IMG_1679.jpeg

I've been thinking about what constitutes a past hero and whether I actually have any. I mean, are we talking only about sporting heroes? If so, the sportsman who has impressed me more than any other would have to be Dan Carter, the All Blacks fly half and possibly the greatest ever rugby player.

But if we're talking only about British sporting heroes I would find it harder to tie it down to one name - and even more so if restricted to Scottish sportsmen. Probably the greatest ever sporting Scot is still hobbling about on his metal hip but the following ten personal favourites have all made a huge impression on me at one time or another. There's no point listing Footballers because they would all be Rangers players and too many to make any real sense .........

Gavin Hastings

Chris Paterson

Ian McLaughlin

Finlay Calder

Chris Hoy

Alan Wells

Jim Clark

David Wilkie

Dick McTaggart

Colin Montgomery 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I've been thinking about what constitutes a past hero and whether I actually have any. I mean, are we talking only about sporting heroes? If so, the sportsman who has impressed me more than any other would have to be Dan Carter, the All Blacks fly half and possibly the greatest ever rugby player.

But if we're talking only about British sporting heroes I would find it harder to tie it down to one name - and even more so if restricted to Scottish sportsmen. Probably the greatest ever sporting Scot is still hobbling about on his metal hip but the following ten personal favourites have all made a huge impression on me at one time or another. There's no point listing Footballers because they would all be Rangers players and too many to make any real sense .........

Gavin Hastings

Chris Paterson

Ian McLaughlin

Finlay Calder

Chris Hoy

Alan Wells

Jim Clark

David Wilkie

Dick McTaggart

Colin Montgomery 

Didn't you make a post about this a while back?