Lundstram: renew or release?

Lundstram: Renew or Release?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Renew or Release?

Lundstram's contract ends at the end of the season. 

He is clearly a superb performer, yet is past 30 and presumably on high wages. 

With our new DoF could we prioritise a younger, cheaper option, a la Diomande?

Or, is he too important to release? 

From a squad management point of view, I can see the argument for releasing him. 

What are your thought? 

• Rousseau changed the title to Lundstram: Renew or release?
7 minutes ago, compo said:

What age is he

Just turned 30 in February. 

We have a bad habit of holding on to players on the downward trajectory of their careers.  I'd hope we're looking at other options.

Out of all the players who are out of contract at the end of this season, he is the only one I'd not have an issue with us renewing. 

Whilst we require "new blood", it also helps having experienced players at the club and I believe Lundstram has shown his worth to us over his spell.

However I trust DoF and manager and believe that a new deal is on the table.

17 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We have a bad habit of holding on to players on the downward trajectory of their careers.  I'd hope we're looking at other options.

This is the squad management argument. 

I think it's a good opportunity to free up high wages and reduce what is still a bloated squad. 

We have a lot of cover in that position, including Diomande, Raskin, and Sterling, with Jack on the same boat as Lundstram. Dowell hasn't played much due to fitness and injury, Lowry being a dark horse due to - of late - commitment and lack of game time. Given that Jack, whom I place as one of our best DMs when fit, is becoming ever more injure prone, I'd suggest giving Lundstram a one-year deal and an option for another. He's been our most reliable DM/CM this season, yet all depends of what he plans for himself in what might be one of his last contracts in the game.

Edited by der Berliner

1 minute ago, CammyF said:

Out of all the players who are out of contract at the end of this season, he is the only one I'd not have an issue with us renewing. 

Whilst we require "new blood", it also helps having experienced players at the club and I believe Lundstram has shown his worth to us over his spell.

However I trust DoF and manager and believe that a new deal is on the table.

Roofe is certainly one that would be higher up the list, but I thought Lundstram would provide a better subject for discussion. 

• Rousseau changed the title to Lundstram: renew or release?
44 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Roofe is certainly one that would be higher up the list, but I thought Lundstram would provide a better subject for discussion. 

If and it's a huge if, Roofe could stay fit, it would a consideration, bit given his apparent fragility, I can't see us even considering renewing his contract. 

My hope for Roofe is for him to stay fit enough to positively impact the remainder of the season which should result in trophies us, medals for Roofe and a good way for us to part company.

John to me is like having that old deaf in one ear sheepdog please don’t laugh too much 🤣

An older sheepdog has accumulated years of experience working with sheep. Their knowledge of herding techniques, flock behaviour , and terrain is invaluable. They can anticipate sheep movements, respond to changing conditions, and guide the flock efficiently. Their wisdom benefits both the shepherd and the sheep. Now I’m not saying John is the old Deaf in one sheepdog but with Raskin ( loved his intervention towards the last few mins of Benfica) and Diomande coming in they can replace the old ones Jack and John in time but definitely give the man at least another 2 years! Jack on the other hand I’m not to sure about, I think “Big” John has been our main man in controlling midfield out of anyone else.