[FT] Ross County 3 - 2 Rangers (Baldwin o.g. 15; Tavernier 89pen)

4 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Remember that they stumbled during the 55 season too. While we did our part fairly well, they fell apart after the turn of the year like we did under SG et al a few times.

IMHO, our main problem remains a) converting chances created and b) conceding far too many goals compared to the chances the opposition creates. It has been our downfall since the return to the top flight, and we stubbornly resist changing the tactics that lead to this, as well as keep playing players who are not up for this.

Said it before and say it again: when fit, Souttar and Balogun are our best defenders at the club. Mainly because they can defend, see danger in advance, and do the simply things. Goldson and Tav switch off far too regularly in when it comes to their defensive duties.

If we like to play the WINGback game, we essentially need one DM to cover the area vacated. Instead, we de facto play two (Sunday it was Dowell and Lundstram), yet both wander out of position far too regularly (like yesterday) and time and again, we are rolled over in a quick counter-attack. You obviously want the DMs/CMs/whatever you call them to bolster the attack, yet Lundstram was harmless in that role (again), so should have stayed back. Dowell tried, but has yet to cope with the robust defensive style we face - same with Lawrence, more often than not. Our midfield was effectively a man or two down - again. That left all driving in the hands of our centre-halfs (again), or the invention of a Cantwell, who was chasing people all over the place.

Silva got no service and hooking him was truly shocking, like it was in the OF game. 

Get Sterling on for Dowell, make it a 3-at-the-back, Lundstram (for lack of options) in front of them and let the other 6 attack like there is no tomorrow. At least 2 strikers with those. It was Ross County, it will be Dundee ... all packed defences and anti-football, and we continue to chisel at that wall instead of using the sledgehammer we have ready. 

You see Cantwell, Ridvan, Silva, Raskin, even Wright, all players "thinking forward". That should be the way ahead. The current crew has far too many people not of that ilk, spraying passes backwards or sideways, running five yards before releasing the ball 8and thus telegraphing their intent), even if the clock is ticking down. Thank's for the contribution so far. But we need to move on.

Whilst it's all about opinions, Silva has been terrible since he signed - a decent game away to Benfica and not much more. Dessers looks far more dangerous than Silva.

Raskin is an enigma - a highly thought of player when we signed him but has regressed dramatically and if rumours are to be believed, has a terrible attitude. Obvious by the lack of game time, Clement doesn't rate him.

Wright would be an asset if he had an end product. He tries, but with the lack of assists and goals, he is a luxury we can't afford.

Ridvan is once again missing - a slight injury that was supposed to clear up after OF, yet he has not even made the bench since being injured in the international break. File alongside Roofe and Jack.

Cantwell blows hot and cold. When he's good, he's very good but not been consistent enough. He is young, so there is hope that he can get the consistency required.

Balogun is no more than a squad player. Can understand why he was brought back (for cover) but was never going to be a "starter". Issue now is he won't be match fit so unlikely to play any significant role in the run-in. 

Souttar is probably our best defender, doesn't mean he's "great", just the best we currently have.

Lundstrum is the DM who usually sits alongside the CHs but he has lost form at a time we needed him to drive us forward. He has been one of our best players this season. 

Manager is entering a critical period - he needs to get us back on course. 2 wins from 7 games isn't and has never been acceptable at Rangers

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

How many goals conceded was Tav in these last 10 days? 

I have no problem if he was meant to be our right winger, or midfielder, but I like defenders defending. He will be one of the greatest ever right-backs of this club, rule the stats for decades to come. All fine and well. His goals tally without penalties will would make any right winger proud, likewise his assists. Now go And check how many trophies he has won in his 9 years with the club. 3 major ones. Just to get grounded a little. Many people got hooked, drawn, and quartered by playing similar football as Tav, but failing to clock up penalty goals or assists - more often than not his letters of indulgence. 

I saw you advocating the sale of Ridvan above. He's one of the brightest sparks of late, yet you want him shifted? I am rather content to agree to disagree with you about both Tav and Ridvan.

See this argument is used to bash Tav. It was stated that even if Tav was solely to blame for every goal we've conceded since he signed (and he hasn't been) then he'd still have a positive contribution. 

As for trophies won, or bot won, that's not solely down to Tav. Football is a team game.

Ridvan is once again injured and nowhere to be seen and not for the first time. 25 games in over 2 years is simply unacceptable. Puts him "up there" with Roofe and Jack. As for him being  bright spark, fail to see it. His stats are no better than Barisic's that tells you how "good" he is.

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

See this argument is used to bash Tav. It was stated that even if Tav was solely to blame for every goal we've conceded since he signed (and he hasn't been) then he'd still have a positive contribution. 

As for trophies won, or bot won, that's not solely down to Tav. Football is a team game.

Ridvan is once again injured and nowhere to be seen and not for the first time. 25 games in over 2 years is simply unacceptable. Puts him "up there" with Roofe and Jack. As for him being  bright spark, fail to see it. His stats are no better than Barisic's that tells you how "good" he is.

I want a defender to defend. Everything else is a bonus, but his job remains the same. If that job is not up to scratch, he will be questioned, be it Tav, or Borna, or your prime target Ridvan. Which is ridiculous, IMHO, saying his not up for it because he is injured. Tav's better because he played through most of the dross we've been served then?

Ach well. I can't see Clement changing the formation or some players ... so we can but hope that those given the jersey will pull us through.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I want a defender to defend. Everything else is a bonus, but his job remains the same. If that job is not up to scratch, he will be questioned, be it Tav, or Borna, or your prime target Ridvan. Which is ridiculous, IMHO, saying his not up for it because he is injured. Tav's better because he played through most of the dross we've been served then?

Ach well. I can't see Clement changing the formation or some players ... so we can but hope that those given the jersey will pull us through.

I want players who are available more than they are injured. I want players who positively impact on performances and results. I also said I'd sell Tav, so your argument falls down right there.

We spent a decent amount of money on Ridvan and I expected him to be an automatic starter and an upgrade on Barasic - he's been neither. In fact, some may say he's been a complete waste of money.

He is injured again - he has hardly been available for selection since he arrived for various reasons. Do we give Roofe and Jack leniency as much as we give Ridvan? If not, why not? 

If Ridvan is my prime target (he isnt) than Tav is yours. 

I'd ask you to take a minute and look at Tav's contribution v Ridvan's - Tav wins by twice the length of Sauchiehall Street.

15 hours ago, CammyF said:

I want players who are available more than they are injured. I want players who positively impact on performances and results. I also said I'd sell Tav, so your argument falls down right there.

We spent a decent amount of money on Ridvan and I expected him to be an automatic starter and an upgrade on Barasic - he's been neither. In fact, some may say he's been a complete waste of money.

He is injured again - he has hardly been available for selection since he arrived for various reasons. Do we give Roofe and Jack leniency as much as we give Ridvan? If not, why not? 

If Ridvan is my prime target (he isnt) than Tav is yours. 

I'd ask you to take a minute and look at Tav's contribution v Ridvan's - Tav wins by twice the length of Sauchiehall Street.

My cynical self just noted that Tav contributed to us conceding 6 goals in the last two games, Ridvan to none.

As for injuries and games missed, such a lame and heinous argument. Like every injury is the same. Starting slots ... is it up to the player alone to be selected? Borna had decent runs while Ridvan was fit, whereas Tavernier never had one player to challenge him for his slot. We were lucky that he never had his ankle twisted, knee ligaments torn etc.. It is you who don't give Jack and Roofe no leniency, it seems. For some players, your blame game looks rather simple, for others, you restrain yourself quite a bit. Obviously, I suspect you will get the mirror out rather quickly ...