7 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Work better with what we have? How are you defining that?

Well, Beale not being in charge of recruitment will mean an upgrade on last Summer's efforts.  

We need to recruit better across the football side of things - it's that simple.  I think it will take 2-3 windows to sort the squad out.  There's a lot of dross needs cleared out and that's the biggest immediate issue.  

11 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Difficult question. Please take as much time as you need.

Life is full of difficult questions, some are better answered quickly, some deserve some consideration, some are best ignored. Guess which category yours falls into? 

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Well, Beale not being in charge of recruitment will mean an upgrade on last Summer's efforts.  

We need to recruit better across the football side of things - it's that simple.  I think it will take 2-3 windows to sort the squad out.  There's a lot of dross needs cleared out and that's the biggest immediate issue.  

Can't disagree with that, but how are we financing the recruitment? Sure we'll free up some wages with those out of contract, we may get fees for Ridvan, Lammers and Hagi (but then again we might not).

We can't force players to leave so even if we do get offers, the players may chose to stay. So are you advocating we terminate contracts and payout what they are owed? 

This window we may get lucky in the fact that Butland may well be sold and its looking likely that SG is going to bid for Goldson and Tav (but I'm hearing Tav is reluctant to move to Saudi). 

With £4.5M already tied up for Diomande, is it more loans and free-signings we're relying on? 

I'd imagine it'll be more of the same: a handful of signings and a couple of loanees.  

The whole thing is a massive balancing act.  Cortes and Diamonde have looked decent, so I'm hopeful our player recruitment will be better than it has been and ultimately, that's what success will depend upon. 

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

I'd imagine it'll be more of the same: a handful of signings and a couple of loanees.  

The whole thing is a massive balancing act.  Cortes and Diamonde have looked decent, so I'm hopeful our player recruitment will be better than it has been and ultimately, that's what success will depend upon. 

Maybe me being an eternal pessimist, but I'd say the jury is still out on Diomande and Cortes. Both shown flashes of what they are capable of, but too early to say either way. 

In saying that, injury dependant I'd like to see us get Cortes back on loan next season with an option to buy.  Same with Sima, but think Brighton will be looking to sell him rather than loan him out again.

A few short weeks ago, Rangers was in poll position, in the the box seats, in the League, and we should be looking, today, at clinching the title, tomorrow, or next weekend.

That we are not is mainly down to the players, aided  by an horrendous injury list, if we were to be scrupulously fair. 

I have thought, on and off, for a while, that this season was, and is, a 'free hit' for M Clement and his coaching, etc. staff, and that

this was known, understood, and agreed by him, and by the board, at Day 1. 

I concede that this is purely speculation, but when MB departed, did anybody really think that the team would have won the League Cup, reached the final of the Scottish, and been so in control of the League Championship that winning it was in its grasp? Did anybody really think that winning the 23/24 League Flag was a sine qua non for continued employment of manager and coaches? 

I don't think anybody did, and the reason for the general grumpiness, now, is that the opportunity to win the Title slipped, dashing raised expectations. (Continued capitulation to PIE FC did not help).

I assume that manager and coaches have now a clear idea of who is worth their salt, and who isn't, who has the stones, and who doesn't, who is a malingerer, and who isn't, who has the talent, and who doesn't, whom they can trust, and whom they can't, who they can improve, and whom they can't, and so on....

If we can have a decent stab at putting names to these categories, then surely to God, a coaching team of guys who have played and coached professionally can see this with greater clarity. 

Next season is not, cannot and will not be a 'free hit', and the Key Performance Indicator must be:

Win the fucking League.

23 hours ago, CammyF said:

Can't disagree with that, but how are we financing the recruitment? Sure we'll free up some wages with those out of contract, we may get fees for Ridvan, Lammers and Hagi (but then again we might not).

We can't force players to leave so even if we do get offers, the players may chose to stay. So are you advocating we terminate contracts and payout what they are owed? 

This window we may get lucky in the fact that Butland may well be sold and its looking likely that SG is going to bid for Goldson and Tav (but I'm hearing Tav is reluctant to move to Saudi). 

With £4.5M already tied up for Diomande, is it more loans and free-signings we're relying on? 

A combination of all of that I think and some young players with potential to make us money.

On 12/05/2024 at 15:12, Rousseau said:

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. 

We're making progress behind the scenes. The commercial side is improving.

I much prefer our footballing structure to theirs. They're in a false position after 10 years of easy CL money, not because they're well-run per se; they've had it easy. 

We've got our recruitment wrong in the last few windows and haven't sold when values were high - mainly because we didn't have a DoF with more control and left it to a manager. The Beale appointment was a mistake, too. 

We should have won the league this year, despite poor recruitment, letting them have a head start after Beale's poor start, and a squad decimated by injuries. 

We've got a good opportunity this summer with a lot of high-wage players out of contract. 

Very Eric Idle, though I do tend to agree in the main. However I can't for the life of me see where our "footballing structure" is superior to theirs as ours is basically rip it up and start again, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat....

At one stage Beale was drifting into Mike Bassett territory. 

Indeed they have had it easy but mainly because we've alowed it to be so.