He will now be formally asked if he wants the job.

Frankly he is a good manager and I hope he does well.

Souness was the experienced man but he is an arrogant cnut.... and Burns, well never make a good No 2 the Manager at international level - look at England.

And McGhee - he was a non starter!

Souness has the best CV by a mile -

Best player history;

as a manager -

3 major Championships and 6 major trophies from 4 different clubs

got to the European cup quarter final.

Top 3 finish in a top league for 4 clubs and top 6 finish for 5.

Managed 7 top division clubs. Was actually the 6th best manager of all time for Newcastle, out of 23 - and a lot better than Allerdyce or Gullit.

Apart from Rangers and Liverpool, he was pretty much average or better for all clubs he managed, with no disasters. At Rangers he was fantastic and even at Liverpool he still managed to win their only trophy in about a 10 year spell.

Now which manager can come even in the same ballpark to that CV? Unfortunately though, he has too big an ego and upsets most players, also thought to lack in tactical nous. That's what counts against him - Scotland have flourished by having a sense of togetherness about them, Souness would smash that up like a bull in a China shop.

Mark McGhee has a good record of doing well with Championship teams but not quite qualifying for the EPL - bit like Berti Vogts was for Scotland. We need someone who can actually qualify. He's also known for having too big an ego so if we're going to have someone like that then it's far better to have a more successful one in Souness.

Tommy Burns, the joker in the pack - his shortlisting is a total joke. He's the Celtic equivalent of John Grieg for success as an OF manager, and although I admire the great Rangers player, I wouldn't want him as Scotland manager. If his current job is anything to go by then surely Durrant has an equal shout...

That just leaves Burley. Not exactly Mr Successful unless you count 11 games for Hearts. He did bring Ipswich up to the EPL, finish quite highly and then do well in the UEFA cup, but after that, got relegated. Again has a record of losing the playoffs with two different teams. We really need someone who can win those as it's our best chance of qualifying for any finals.

So basically, Burley is the best of a poor bunch, if you discount Souness for his ego.

But then who is there that really fits the bill outside Eck, Walter and Sir Alex?

George Graham is one but either doesn't want it or doesn't have a look-in due to being out the game so long...

Apart from them all the other Scottish managers are too young or haven't been successful yet, which rules out Moyes, Davis, Calderwood, Levein etc.

Strachan has an ok record but wouldn't take the job.

So from a country famous for managers, we don't really have a really decent one available...

So Burley will have to do.

Here's hoping he can carry on the good work from our last two managers and let's get right behind him.

Good post Calscot and agreed

Burley is probably the preferred choice from our "B" list of Scottish managers. Id have liked to consider a englishman or foreigner for the job ahead of out "B" list.

List A included:

Sir Alex (wouldnt take it)

Moyes (wouldnt take it)

W Smith (wouldnt take it)

Strachan (possibly would have)

George Graham (Why he wasnt ever even mentioned is baffling to me).

But it looks set in stone so we'll have to get with it. As I said before hopefully he brings in a promising No.2 with him.

Last time we appointed a foreigner it went tits up!

Doesnt mean to say it will happen again.

England are taking the chance with Capello who is one of the best. I just feel we should have sets our sights a bit higher than Burley, Davies, McGhee, Burns and Souness.

Doesnt mean to say it will happen again.

England are taking the chance with Capello who is one of the best. I just feel we should have sets our sights a bit higher than Burley, Davies, McGhee, Burns and Souness.

Doesn't mean to say it won't happen again. By appointing a Scotsman, he'll know exactly what's needed and knows what the Scottish mentality is. A foreigner doesn't.

Good post Calscot and agreed

Burley is probably the preferred choice from our "B" list of Scottish managers. Id have liked to consider a englishman or foreigner for the job ahead of out "B" list.

List A included:

Sir Alex (wouldnt take it)

Moyes (wouldnt take it)

W Smith (wouldnt take it)

Strachan (possibly would have)

George Graham (Why he wasnt ever even mentioned is baffling to me).

But it looks set in stone so we'll have to get with it. As I said before hopefully he brings in a promising No.2 with him.

I like your "A" list and "B" list analogy, I see it akin to "A" and "B" list celebrities. Souness was definitely the only one in that catagory in the short list. Or, if he's a "B" list then the others are "C".

I wouldn't put Moyes in the "A" list: he's less of a record than Allardyce and the latter has shown he can't easily transfer his skills. You need a guy who for a start has actually been more successful than Moyes and secondly has been so for at least a few clubs.

I think with regards to foreign managers, Eck and Walter have set the model for a good Scotland manager. I'd like us to continue in that vein. You just have to look at PLG at Rangers to see how big a risk a foreign manager is, and even Advocaat ultimately failed while not playing many Scots at all.

Scotland is pretty much a provincial country which requires extensive local knowledge to manage. Therefore only foreigner who has managed or played in Scotland should get a look in.