Thomas Buffel

Buffel [apart from a couple of nights ago] hasn't played in a Rangers side with as much support in midfield as we have right now.

He's suffered from exactly the same as Arteta did. No support...........and we know how good Arteta has proved himself since.

Give him a run in the position he's suited to rather than expecting him to battle in midfield and then we'll see if he's 'inconsistent'.

We put up with Lovenkrands doing hee-haw for years. Gie the boy a chance.

Absolutely!!! :thup:

Im trying to work out why people are saying he has had chance after chance after chance - he has been injured for a year and previous to that was played out of position so he has barely had a chance to play in the role we know he can do. Where at the same time there are plenty other players who have no consistancy who do play.

As for Lovenkrands yet again I was a fan of his when he was on his game. He was certainly one who stood out in the bigger matches.

Someone posted this the other day and its absolutely spot on - Some Gers fans dont like someone unless they only give 110% grit and dont like them unless they arent putting in solid tackles. Is that really showing they are committed to the shirt??

IMO i would rather see a mix of those who get stuck in (Thomson / Ferguson) then put them in the team withthose who have the talent and ability to play football how it should be played (Buffel / Lovenkrands / Hemdani).

I really dont think its a coincedence that we havent won a trophy for a few years simply due to us having so many average players and no talent in the team.

Im trying to work out why people are saying he has had chance after chance after chance - he has been injured for a year and previous to that was played out of position so he has barely had a chance to play in the role we know he can do. Where at the same time there are plenty other players who have no consistancy who do play.

He has been given too many chances IMO get rid I say. Look at his games he has played where he wants/likes and see what he has done, virtually nothing. If you come back and show me otherwise he's not good enough for me.

Someone posted this the other day and its absolutely spot on - Some Gers fans dont like someone unless they only give 110% grit and dont like them unless they arent putting in solid tackles. Is that really showing they are committed to the shirt??

IMO i would rather see a mix of those who get stuck in (Thomson / Ferguson) then put them in the team withthose who have the talent and ability to play football how it should be played (Buffel / Lovenkrands / Hemdani).

I replied saying take a look at the players similar who never had much agression, I said like Laudrup but there's plenty of other examples like Cooper, Wilkins, De Boer etc, they done more than buffel could ever dream of doing in a Rangers jersey and are all legends.

I really dont think its a coincedence that we havent won a trophy for a few years simply due to us having so many average players and no talent in the team.

I certainly don't think buffel for one would have helped us win trophies in the last 2 years, what a joke.......

WATP

I agree with Gribz on one thing that Buffel is not and never will be a left winger. If you play him there he will disappear.He has to be playing through the middle to get the best out of him. Eck had him mostly on the left wing and PLG never played him.

The problem (wrong choice of word) with Buffel is that he plays in the hole behind the striker. We are all screaming out for the team to play a 4-4-2 - so in a 4-4-2 he would either have to be in the centre of midfield (where he isnt strong enough and would offer little support to the other CM) or he has to play as one of the strikers, which means we play with a 4-4-1-1 (that could work but you then more than likely get very little support from the other midfielders as they would be playing narrower).

The formation which suits Buffel best is the 4-5-1 (or is it 4-3-3........) which funnily enough is the formation we have at present. But even within that formation the problem is that the formation at present is being used such that we have 3 central midfielders who are not forward thinking (aside from BF at times) and the flair is coming from the wide players.

Buffel's role as a creative player would either have to be as a wide player (which we all agree is not his preferred position) or one of the central 3 would have to be dropped - and the problem is that it seems WS likes a strong central 3 in midfield with the flair out wide. So even in the 4-5-1 it seems that right now there is no place for Buffel.

I would like to see him get a chance though (in the past I would have got rid of him but I think we have such a solid midfield we could accomodate him in certain games - games where it will be tight and a spark of genius will win a game) - the thing is, we all know we need a creative midfielder, Buffel is exactly that - the other option is to sell him and bring in someone new - but 1) you would likely have to spend a few million on a replacement and 2) he may be no better than Buffel.

I know most of us think he has had his fair share of chances - but if he is on the wage bill, if he is fit, if he is playing well in the reserves, if he wants to be here (and he made the right noises earlier in the season, he is only now saying he wants to leave due to not getting a chance) and if he is the type of player we need (creative, flair, quality passing) then surely we should be utilising him.

I think that today's game against St Mirren would be the IDEAL game for him as they will sit in and play tight, and someone with his creativity is exactly what we could need.

With the flexibility we have in the squad with BF, Hemdani, Adam, McCulloch - all of whom can play CM - surely having a flair player like Buffel at least on the bench won't damage the team's chances.

The problem (wrong choice of word) with Buffel is that he plays in the hole behind the striker. We are all screaming out for the team to play a 4-4-2 - so in a 4-4-2 he would either have to be in the centre of midfield (where he isnt strong enough and would offer little support to the other CM) or he has to play as one of the strikers, which means we play with a 4-4-1-1 (that could work but you then more than likely get very little support from the other midfielders as they would be playing narrower).

The formation which suits Buffel best is the 4-5-1 (or is it 4-3-3........) which funnily enough is the formation we have at present. But even within that formation the problem is that the formation at present is being used such that we have 3 central midfielders who are not forward thinking (aside from BF at times) and the flair is coming from the wide players.

Buffel's role as a creative player would either have to be as a wide player (which we all agree is not his preferred position) or one of the central 3 would have to be dropped - and the problem is that it seems WS likes a strong central 3 in midfield with the flair out wide. So even in the 4-5-1 it seems that right now there is no place for Buffel.

Agreed the current 4-5-1 would be ideal for him if Walter wasnt so cautious. IMO we dont need Thomson, Ferguson and Hemdani playing in the middle. We need 2 from them - at the moment Hemdani to sit and protect the back 4 which is more than enough in the SPL then Ferguson being all over the park and Buffel ahead of them. Then you have the 2 wide men and a centre forward - it would be absolutely ideal and we would have a creative player.

So you have a midfield of:

____________Ferguson_______Hemdani_____________

_Novo/Burke___________Buffel__________Naismith/McCulloch