Gazza on suicide watch.

Pete is right - at the end of the day if he isnt prepared to help himself then it makes not one bit of difference the help he gets psychologically, mentally, physicaly, financially.

He needs to want to help himself and he needs to have the strength to help himself.

That isnt to say that I don't think he deserves help, he does deserve it. Pete makes a valid point about Rangers not being a charity case and I do agree that he isnt a good role model - I do however believe that Rangers should attempt to help him in conjunction with his former clubs as a show of support.

But it still boils down to him wanting to help himself.

Reading his book about his counselling sessions, I personally believe as does Gazza that he wants to kick the habits and get better but he's battling with boredom and the demons in his head.

It's easy for us to post on here saying things but does anyone know apart from addicts themselves how hard it is to give your addiction up?

Its all about getting through to the person in a way which they will wake up and help themselves.

Gazza is a boy trapped in a mans body and he needs to realise that and the fact about his upbringing. Once he does then he will come round with the right help. Eventually once he gets better he can prove to people he will be an asset at a football club - which no doubt he would be when in the right framw of mind.

He still wants to get out and have a laugh which there is nothing wrong with but you need to know where to draw a line.

Reading his book about his counselling sessions, I personally believe as does Gazza that he wants to kick the habits and get better but he's battling with boredom and the demons in his head.

It's easy for us to post on here saying things but does anyone know apart from addicts themselves how hard it is to give your addiction up?

But surely battling boredom and demons all comes back to his own mental strength.

At the end of the day Gav, he can only help himself. The experts have tried on multiple occasions and failed which only leaves one person left that can save him - and that is Gazza himself.

Yes it is easy to come on and post these things - it doesnt mean we dont have compassion, quite the opposite in my case - but the reality is that the experts have tried and failed so what is left ?

I thankfully dont have an addiction (maybe gambling, but am in control of that... for now) but my Mum was a smoker for over 40 years and last summer went cold turkey and hasnt had a puff since so I know 2nd hand at least what it is like, albeit a different addiction. Yes it is incredibly difficult but, again, it merely proves (to me at least) that you have to have mental toughness to come through it and you need to do it yourself (with assistance is fine but it needs to be a mental change in the person).

• 2 weeks later...