Rant on Referees...

Listening to Real Radio this evening I heard one caller query the selection of referees for cup finals. According to this man, 73% of cup finals in the past 10 years have been refereed by just two men - Kenny Clarke and Hugh Dallas.

It got me thinking, since I'm the cynical type, is this really true? Now, before we get to the facts, I didn't catch whether this caller was of the green and white persuasion, Dundee United or any other club but suffice to say he should think about re-sitting his Primary 4 maths test.

So, first up - the Scottish Cup. Somewhat surprisingly, Dougie McDonald has refereed the past two but there is a spread of referees with no-one else getting it two seasons running.

Scottish Cup

Year Referee

2007 Dougie McDonald

2006 Dougie McDonald

2005 John Rowbotham

2004 Stuart Dougal

2003 Kenny Clark

2002 Hugh Dallas

2001 Kenny Clark

2000 Jim McCluskey

1999 Hugh Dallas

1998 Willie Young

Then we have the League Cup...

League Cup

Year Referee

2008 Kenny Clark

2007 Dougie McDonald

2006 Stuart Dougal

2005 Mike McCurry

2004 Willie Young

2003 Kenny Clark

2002 Hugh Dallas

2001 Hugh Dallas

2000 Kenny Clark

1999 Hugh Dallas

So, to sum this up in terms of percentages....

Referee Finals %

Dougie McDonald 3 15%

John Rowbotham 1 5%

Stuart Dougal 2 10%

Kenny Clark 5 25%

Jim McCluskey 1 5%

Hugh Dallas 5 25%

Willie Young 1 5%

Mike McCurry 1 5%

It doesn't take Stephen Hawking to work out that Kenny Clark and Hugh Dallas have refereed 50% rather than the fanciful 73% suggested by this mathematically challenged halfwit. :flipa: :uzi:

It's still a very high percentage but it's down to the fact we have very few decent referees. Overall I thought Clarke had a decent game yesterday. Like most refs in most games he did make a couple of mistakes and it's only usually the ones that are perceived to be crucial that get highlighted.

Most people are saying it was a stone waller. Others are saying the United player went down too easily. Some described it as a Judo throw to the ground and others say it was good strength and determination to get to the ball first from Cuellar.

Crucially, Clarke didn't give it. From the angle he saw it you can understand why. Both players were trying to do the same thing it's just that Carlos won the challenge.

So, to conclude...

-There was no injustice.

-The referee gave it as he saw it.

-This decision did not decide the outcome of the game - there was 119 minutes and 55 seconds worth of play + penalties that did that.

And another thing. I'm sick of hearing how gutted Eddie Thompson is/was. I know he's ill but some of the media coverage before and after the game has been boring as hell. Think of something else to write about. Give us another angle that has some thought and is researched. Stop fuelling this thicko mentality that believes everything the Sun tells them which is then regurgitated on football phone ins as poorly conceived ideas masquerading as fact.

Rant over.

Someone has too much time on their hands. i heard that call and, to be fair to the little lunatic that called up, he said that Clark and Dallas had referreed 73% of finals Rangers were involved (8 out of the last 11 finals).

The simple fact of the matter is that during his time Hugh Dallas was by far the best ref we had and was recognised and one of the best in the world. It makes perfect sense that the best refs get the biggest showpiece games. Amazing as it may seem, Kenny Clark has been, along with Stuart Dougal, the best since then.

Well worked out Stewarty.

Agree with Juff about Dallas, he was by far the best ref we had. Its a shame the way he was treated and practically forced out of the game. Its actually the likes of Dallas who should now be involved with the running of the game due to his experience and knowledge.

I dont agree with Ref's being made to retire at a certain age, Collina should still be running games all over Europe.

47 is far too young to punt the refs. If they're still good enough then all you are doing is making the game weaker.

Agree 100%! Why do theyimpose an age limit at all? Surely the referees should know when to call it a day. Are they not supposed to have fitness/health checks every season to make sure they're still up to the job?

A few fitness tests, rules of the game tests - and an eye test!!!, should suffice.

If you have a 48 year old referee that is faster, fitter and better than say a lesser 44 year ref, why pick the second one?

Besides, isn't ageism illegal now?