Ricksen?

Guest TheBrit

Maybe what Ricksen did wasn't all that bad and PLG over-exagerated a little bit. I doubt it but there's always 2 sides to a story. Why is everyone having a go at FR, let's just wait to read about it when it becomes public knowledge.

He's pretty much admitted to what was thought to have happened in that story Gav.

He's had his troubles on the booze in the past and he kicked it, to which im sure he got everyone's full backing and support.

But Rangers are a big club, with a new manager that you have to impress. FR cannot go about drinking and/or fall out with staff on a plane during this important time for the team.

Well, I have no sympathy for him after reading what he's said in the papers today. I did wonder when the point about his wages (and the convenience of being able to terminate his contract) would be raised, but I didn't think it would be by the player himself, I thought it would be on here.

Whilst not condoning FR's behaviour or criticising PLG's actions, how many of us would have reacted the same way if WS and sacked Gazza for any of his wild antics?

I am not a fan of FR and had hoped that last season would spell the end of his Rangers career. AM tried to give him the chop, but David Murray fearing a substantial loss persuaded AM to keep Ricksen. This was after an incident in Greece where Rickson pushed John McClelland into a pool - McClelland can't swin and had to be rescued. Both JMc and AM wanted Rickson sacked, DM talked them round.

However, like I said above, Gazza was as guilty, if not more so than Rickson and I think we would have been up in arms if he had been sacked.

This is an unsavoury incident that I hope concludes one way or another very soon - we don't have any substanstial funds to pay him off and or sign a replacement, so it may be that this is a 'final warning' to FR

Cammy F

Thats a good point Cammy.

Although i do agree with you in that repect, i think half of my heart is ruling on this as Ricksen only played to the best of his abilities for one season.... when he needed a new contract.

Gazza was a great talent and a great coup/servant for the club and the fans loved him pretty much the whole time he was at Ibrox.

His off-field antics were a whole lot worse than Ricksen's (that we know of) though, and wouldnt have survived under DA or PLG.

Thats a good point Cammy.

Although i do agree with you in that repect, i think half of my heart is ruling on this as Ricksen only played to the best of his abilities for one season.... when he needed a new contract.

Gazza was a great talent and a great coup/servant for the club and the fans loved him pretty much the whole time he was at Ibrox.

His off-field antics were a whole lot worse than Ricksen's (that we know of) though, and wouldnt have survived under DA or PLG.

Chris, but form / talant / skill shouldn't be the defining character when it comes to disipline.

Cammy F

But just how many "final warnings" does he need ?

What kind of signal does it send out to the other players if he gets a "final warning" ? Well, I can do as I please because I will just get a warning ?

I think PLG will make an example of him.

But just how many "final warnings" does he need ?

What kind of signal does it send out to the other players if he gets a "final warning" ? Well, I can do as I please because I will just get a warning ?

I think PLG will make an example of him.

As he should - but like I said, what would the reaction have been if it was WS and Gazza? Gazza had more 'final warnings' then most, and was lucky to escape jail for domestic violence.

I don't want FR anywhere the team this season, but that is down to my opinion that he is an absolute nightmare of a football player. This latest incident shows how selfish the man is, but again, that is something that could have been labeled at Gazza also.

Anyone who brings down the name of RFC deserves to be punished, but when Duncan Ferguson landed in jail, most Rangers fans backed / supported him.

Cammy F

As he should - but like I said, what would the reaction have been if it was WS and Gazza? Gazza had more 'final warnings' then most, and was lucky to escape jail for domestic violence.

I don't want FR anywhere the team this season, but that is down to my opinion that he is an absolute nightmare of a football player. This latest incident shows how selfish the man is, but again, that is something that could have been labeled at Gazza also.

Anyone who brings down the name of RFC deserves to be punished, but when Duncan Ferguson landed in jail, most Rangers fans backed / supported him.

Cammy F

Can't say I disagree Cammy - but what exactly is your point ? Is it what what do we think the FANS reaction will be ?

If it is related to what SHOULD happen then I don't believe you can compare the 2 - you can compare the antics of both Gazza and Ricksen but the managers ultimately SHOULD make the decision of how to punish them and obviously WS and PLG are very different in their methods and handling of incidents.

If Ricksen pulls the jersey on then he is a player of Rangers and would get my full backing as every other player does - but if he is sacked/sold/told to leave then I am at ease with that decision too.

Chris, but form / talant / skill shouldn't be the defining character when it comes to disipline.

Cammy F

I know that Cammy, thats why i said my heart is ruling my head on this one.

I dont think Ricksen would be any big loss to the team but Gazza, i think, would have been.

Different managers, as we have seen, work in different ways.

The PLG's (and DA's) of the world demand respect from their players and for the good of the club.... as it should be.

But when you have a player like Gazza in your arms its hard to let a talent like that go.